Drilled vs Hang On

staceyfenea

Reefing newb
I am considering upgrading to a larger tank. I currently have a hang on overflow. I have never had a drilled tank. I would like some advise on the pros and cons of drilled versus hang on overflows. :D

I'm upgrading to a 75g tank and will be drilling it. I currently use a CPR HOB overflow and it works well, but is a PITA also. It seems to clog up and recently allowed my tank to overflow twice. Plus a drilled overflow is a much cleaner look to your DT. I'm buying the overflow kit from glass-holes.com

drilled all the way. it is so much cleaner looking with out the crap hanging on the back. the only con is the tank id more spendy for a reef ready tank buy a 100 or 200 bucks but i think it is well worth it

Sorry, I didn't realize you already had an overflow. I guess I did selective reading when I read your original post. None the less, I'm glad to hear it's been working well for you. Are they really all they're cracked up to be? Does it ever loose syphon?

Sorry, I didn't realize you already had an overflow. I guess I did selective reading when I read your original post. None the less, I'm glad to hear it's been working well for you. Are they really all they're cracked up to be? Does it ever loose syphon?
It is great and so for it has never lost syphon. It was kinda pricey but IMO worth it.:bounce:

i have an overflow and i had it going for over a year with no loss of suction,mine was not name brand either,as long as you dont lift up on the tube there is no reason to loose suction,even when the power was out i had no issues,it works well if you have a tempered glass tank

I posted vids of me drilling tanks. It's EASY.

welcome to richontools.com << CHEAP ASS hole saws from hong kong - takes about a week to arrive and they work perfect for about 10 holes - then toss em in the trash. Buy the diamond coated hole saws.

If you search though my build thread in the tank showcase forum - Rcpilot 29g frag - you'll find videos

Back