Drilling Acrylic

Jordan

Reefing newb
I am designing a DIY ATO. What my design looks like is an RO/DI system plumbed in, in my basement. From there, there will be a 1/4" line running into a float valve in the sump. However, I am going to have to drill a hole in my acrylic sump in order to get the float valve plumbed in. Any tips? I know there are special bits out there for drilling plastic. Any other considerations? I would hate to crack a $200+ sump.

They make plastic/plexiglass/acrylic drill bits.

While drilling GO SLOW and STEADY.. meanimg don't push, let the drill & bit do the work, and keep the drill at a steady medium pace..

ALSO, a local glass/plexiglass repair store MIGHT be willing to drill to your specs, but will not replace your sump or its costs if they fail..

Honestly, research is the best advice, there are videos on youtube you can watch, and plenty of articles within your reach online..

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask as many questions until you are comfortable.. you got one shot at this..

The more I think about it with your RO unit in the basement you really need a float switch not a float valve. The switch will turn your pump on when needed and off when not needed. A pump capable of the head pressure to pump from the basement may push water right through the float valve.

The more I think about it with your RO unit in the basement you really need a float switch not a float valve. The switch will turn your pump on when needed and off when not needed. A pump capable of the head pressure to pump from the basement may push water right through the float valve.
Hopefully not. I am hoping the water pressure from the RO/DI unit will have just enough pressure to make it upstairs. If I am going to require an external pump to get the water up, the a float switch will be the route I go.

I tried this with a simple float valve. In my application Aquarian was dead right and when the valve tried to close it would hammer open and close with some serious vibrations. The whole RO/DI unit was shaking like a mofo. Until I get some $$ for another pump, a switch, some wiring, etc, I top of manually.

I got it hooked up using a float valve and not drilling the sump. I have the water pressure as low as I can get it (It is very high pressure to begin with) and it seems to be working perfectly. It cuts off with no hammering. I think I have about the perfect pressure going. For now, I am in a testing phase so I only have it on while I am present and can observe. I have some ALD modules and probes on the way to hook up to my Apex controller. After those are installed and if the ATO has no issues all weekend I will be willing to leave it unattended.
Video of my setup:

Last edited:
Back