Drilling my sump

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
Ok, so when I move my tank in September, I'm going to take the opportunity to fix a bunch of things about my set up that need fixin. First on my list is, I need to drill my sump so the skimmer can be run externally.

So, this is my skimmer: EVO 750

How do I know what size to drill the hole? The bulkhead that is on there is sealed to the plastic, so I suppose I'll have to get a different one and connect the two with some piping, and put the gate valve inside the tank. I guess?

Also, what supplies will I need? What might I need?

I suck at DIY, so even if it seems obvious to you, please spell out everything for me... this is my "noob" area. You can't possibly put enough detail. :mrgreen:

thanks in advance.

Tanked,

If you suck at DIY it might be a good idea to have your LFS drill it for you. I use a drill everyday, and when it comes to thinking about drilling my tank it gives me the heebies.

On all the posts I've read on it, it seems easy. But if you tilt the drill or don't keep the bit wet while you're drilling...bye bye sump.

I'm assuming that you don't have the drill, drill bit, silicone, bulkhead...By the time you're done, if you have the LFS do it, it will probably cost around the same amount. And if they break it, that's there problem not yours.

Besides, you're a chemist, you've got all kinds of extra scratch...stimulate the economy a little.. LOL!

There is no LFS here anymore. And even when there was, they don't drill. Nearest people that do it are in Portland, and they say I have to replace the tank if they break it. SO, I'd rather do it myself than pay someone else bunch of cash to do it, only to have to replace it when they shatter it.

I have a drill (two, actually), and silicone. I need to buy the bulkhead (which I'd have to buy anyway, regardless if i drill it or someone else does), and the drill bit I think will be the only expense I wouldn't otherwise have to pay.

and I'm a grad student and a single parent. The economy needs to stimulate my pocket before I can add anything back. :) And, I'm losing my position at the university in September, so that means I'll have even less money until I get a job. so Nya. :p

Jeez. Sorry to hear about the job..I'm sure you'll get through..You don't seem much like a quitter to me...anyway, check out this video (There are 2 parts)...I know you already have the sump, but there is a part about drilling and how to do it, and since a picture is worth a thousand words, a video must be worth more.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o]YouTube - Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNe_OYgoL8&feature=channel]YouTube - Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 2[/ame]

yeah, I"ve seen those. But I'm still not clear on what type of bit to buy. And it doesn't say how to figure what size to drill the hole.

The drill bits are diamond hole saws. Here's a link. I'll get the info on the bulhead and size shortly.

Glass Hole Cutters - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

Here are the specs on your skimmer. Just match up the bulkhead with the size pipe you need. I'm sure that when you make an order, they'll be able to walk you through what you need.

Plumbing:
Inlet: 3/4" hose fitting
outlet: 1 1/2 " PVC threaded gate valve

Or if you can diagram or explain exactly what you're trying to do (I know you mentioned external skimmer) do you want to drill the inlet,the outlet or both?

Last edited:
flexpvc.com and tractorsupply.com]] both sell bulkheads as well. I like the ones from tractor supply, they are heavy duty and are threaded. I have and am using some of both. I like them.

Last edited:
ok. So all you need to do is match the bulkhead with the drill bit. Make sure of the measurements, there are 2 ways to measure plumbing pipe.

1. I.D. (Inside Diameter)
2.O.D. (Outside Diameter)

Pretty easy from there, verify that the bulkhead will fit through the 1 1/2 hole. (Looking on glassholes.com it says you need a 2 3/8" drill for their 1 1/2 bulkhead) Once you're certain of that, determine exactly where you want to place the hole in your sump. Since PVC is very rigid you need to make sure of the measurement, otherwise the pipe won't go together properly. (Hint: erring on the side of caution, if you were to drill the hole a little higher on the side of the tank you'll have some relief room, and you can easily "shim" the skimmer to the correct height. Too low and you could be screwed, because there may not be room to compensate for the low hole with elbows etc.

http://www.glass-holes.com/2-3-8-Di...D2A660BCE387CC277D460BCC881BCA84.qscstrfrnt02

Since I've never installed a bulkhead I'd assume that you simply silicone it to the glass once it's installed.

Only thing I know about drilling the hole is take your time and drill slow. Don't rush it, and keep it wet...use a little plumbers putty to build a mote around where the hole is going to be and make sure it stays filled with water. Maybe get your son out there with you, so that you can keep drilling and he can keep an eye on the water level of the mote. Once you start drilling you don't want to stop, and once the bit starts spinning on the glass, water is going to be flying around so it'll be necessary to keep some water at the ready.

Lastly, since the tank will be leaning on it's side, make sur eyou lay something down (Towel) so that when the hole does fall out of the tank, it doesn't fall and break the other side of the tank.

Last edited:
Back