drilling overflows, placement of said overflows and sump questions

As far as placement goes, I have seen some set ups that run front to back in the tank and others that run side to side. Any advantages or disadvantages as far as placement? In my thinking (which can be scary) I am inclined to think side to side would be better as I think you might get sloshing running that much volume front to back. Or will it not create a sloshing effect?

ok so in the beananimals three hole design there are no teeth in the wier...I would be concerned that this could allow for livestock to get into the box creating a blockage and or destroying that creature. I still for the life of me cannot figure out how low in the tank to drill the holes. I am definitely going with bean animals design but I am going to implement teeth rather than just a flat wier...just seems safer to me. Can someone enlighten me on how to decide how low on the tank to drill the holes...

I did not want my hole too close to the edges of the glass. The close to the edge you drill - the more likely to fail and crack it. Drilling in the MIDDLE is the safest place, but who wants to do that? Not me.

I had to drill a 60mm hole for my 1.5" bulk head. Thats a 2 and 3/8" hole. The OD is much larger than the clear ID when it's all piped.

I made sure the outside edge of my hole was at least 60mm from the top of the tank. One full hole saw width is as close as I wanted to get. I went about that same distance from the outside corner too. 60mm down and 60mm from the left edge. Zip! Zip! :mrgreen:

So the hole is 60mm, but how big is the flange on the bulkhead? You want at least 1/2" clearance between the edge of your inside flange and the box. Have you measured your bulk head yet? Outside flange dimension? The box has got to be at least that big + about 1/2" below the flange on the very bottom.

How did I come up with that? Well, ya see, I'm a redneck. I like to use a tried and true engineering principal from way back. It's called "That looks about right!" :mrgreen:

Last edited:
what are your thoughts on the no teeth on the wier thing with that design from bean animals...im probably going to go with the thats about right method as well and im going to make my own overflow box. My main concern really is that I will make the hole and the top of the overflow box too high and thus making me have to add more water than the main display is able to hold total and in my thinking that is setting up for a flood

You're worrying about nothing. Don't sweat it man. Cut the teeth in the box the same depth as the plastic rim around the top. That will make the water ride about 1/4" above the bottom of the plastic trim. Perfect water level. Make sure and cut the teeth wide enough. Usually 1/4" Make sure you cut enough teeth.

The box size is determined by the bulk head size. If you have a 1000gph bulk head then be sure and build a 1000gph box.

You can't overfill the tank unless you put in a pump thats too big. That won't happen if you did the calculations and did the homework. Over design the bulk head and box by 10% or 20% for safety.

Back