Drilling Tank. What Size?

fmjnax

Reefing newb
I'll keep this one simple. My DIY acrylic HOB overflow I've been working on just isn't sitting right with me, so I think I'm going to go ahead and drill the tank. I'm going to get a kit from Glass-Holes. For a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon long sump, should I buy the 700GPH or the 1500GPH?

My pump should be capable of pushing 700-800GPH at the head, so the 700GPH is pretty much a perfect match. However, 700GPH is shy of the 10x turnover rate I've been told to try and achieve. Will this be ok, or should I opt for the 1500GPH and maybe get another pump?

Thanks in advance!

The more flow the better with a larger pump you can set up a manifold system with take offs for a scrubber a gfo reactor or carbon reactor.What do you want in the tank for corals and fish will you need high flow for sps or lower flow for shrooms and softies.A larger pump also gives you the option of multiple returns for better flow.

Well, we're just testing the water right now, making sure the extra complexity with SW is something we can handle (thus why I'm acting like such a tight wad). Coral and fish for sure, though. Basically, just entry level stuff. Talking about manifolds and reactors is beyond our reach right now... but could very well be a possibility down the road.

I currently have two pumps that, together, should be able to give me the 700-800GPH net that I need to start out with; and if I set them up on independent returns (like you mentioned in my other thread. Hehehe), then that also gives me fairly simple expansion/flow capabilities if I ever need to.

If I go with the 1500GPH kit, would I have to return 1500GPH from the sump, or will the drain only drain as much as the pump can return to the tank?

Back