Drilling Tank

lilman446

Where am I? Oh there I am
Any Suggestions on drilling my 75g before I get started the Diamond Bits arrived today and am getting ready to start drilling hopefully no bad luck tonight!!! Base is just about done a few more screws and more leveling checks and time to start drilling ..... I am nervous about that.

Drilling is very easy, just make sure you take your time, and let the drill do all the work. Don't push down or put weight on the tank, just enough to get it going. A great thing to do is take some playdough or plumers putty make big circle and build a dam around where you're putting th hole and fill the dam with water to keep it cool.

Good luck. It's very easy, but scary at the same time.

I did all the preparations, mark things, checked measurements, and watched videos multiple times. I was still quite nervous before drilling my first hole. Not that i recommend for everyone but I found a nice cold beer :beerchug: helped mellow me out then I commenced to drilling. I'm now a drilling machine :D

Just lot Bobby and Piggy say, it's really quite easy once you get going.

Drilling is very easy, just make sure you take your time, and let the drill do all the work. Don't push down or put weight on the tank, just enough to get it going. A great thing to do is take some playdough or plumers putty make big circle and build a dam around where you're putting th hole and fill the dam with water to keep it cool.

Good luck. It's very easy, but scary at the same time.

Thanks bobby,
I have watched the movies over and over and over lol. Only thing i am worried about is that i have an 18volt dewalt and its kind of heave and am wondering if i sould use a lighter one. And i am worried about going straight and not at an angle. Is it easy to stay straight without cutting more to one side?

Only thing i am worried about is that i have an 18volt dewalt and its kind of heave and am wondering if i sould use a lighter one. And i am worried about going straight and not at an angle. Is it easy to stay straight without cutting more to one side?

I assume your talking about a cordless drill. If that's the case set the clutch setting to a lower setting, maybe 3 or 4. That way if your angle is off the clutch will start clicking and you'll know your applying too much pressure or your angling the drill.

yea, i'm getting serious about drilling one of my spares for a sump, and my fear is the starting.. i think once i get the holesaw to stay in place i'll be fine, but trying to hold it while it starts scares me.

ever try and hold a wood holesaw when the centering bit is missing.. same theory, except i would hope that the glass verison would be easier...

do you want to turn the bit faster or slower when you have the option? i would think that slower might be safer, but will take longer, but the faster speeds might cause more heat(ofcourse thats what the water is for) but which is better, slow and steady, or spin it fast and get done?

Glass is easier. Once the you get it started it goes pretty easy. I used a 19.2 volt craftsman for all mine and haven't had any problems with it. Just make sure you have a full battery before you start.LOL

Getting straight is really not a problem. I have even started going in at a very small angle to help get it started and never had any problems. The only tank I have ever broke was a tempered one. Other than that no problems ever and I have even drilled 10 gal which they say are harder ones because the glass is soo thin. Biggest piece of advice is don't rush it. It might seem like it's taking a while but who cares as long as it comes out good right?

Just take your time and don't force it. Let the tools do all the work. Once you get a hole started you can stop to clean the water, but I will tell you the more you stop the more time your left there to think about it and get more nervious.LOL

I assume your talking about a cordless drill. If that's the case set the clutch setting to a lower setting, maybe 3 or 4. That way if your angle is off the clutch will start clicking and you'll know your applying too much pressure or your angling the drill.

Thanks Hornet yeah i will be using a cordless and i never thought about the clutch setting good catch there:bowdown:

I have a question: Can I use a 1" PVC pipe siliconed in as a bulkhead, or is there some special piece I need to buy? I'm planning a 1 3/8" hole for a 20g. I'm also real nervous about drilling, but want to try it anyways.

I have a question: Can I use a 1" PVC pipe siliconed in as a bulkhead, or is there some special piece I need to buy? I'm planning a 1 3/8" hole for a 20g. I'm also real nervous about drilling, but want to try it anyways.

No you will deffinatly want to pick up an acutal bulk head. When it comes to cutting corners to save a buck you are asking for trouble. Always do it the best correct way expecially when you come to the bulkhead. and if your gonna drill the tank be sure to get a diamond coated bit 45mm for the 1"bulkhead.

I'm certainly not looking to cut any corners, especially something that could potentially leak saltwater all over my carpet! I was just unsure how bulkheads work with glass tanks; a little more research has helped clarify things for me. Thanks lilman for the advice!

I help anywhere i can. When it comes to the DIY stuff i have been reasearching it for months upon months now. I want it to be most diy for my reef when i get done :)

Looks like you've done your homework. You'll be plenty fine drilling this weekend.

I've got a 14.4v craftsman drill. I hold the bit at an angle to get the groove started then I slowly start leveling the bit out. I drilled my first hole real slow because I was so nervous. After that on future holes I started running the drill as fast as possible once the bit was leveled out with the glass. Still with the clutch on a lower setting so it would start the clicking if the bit started binding.

Thanks for the encouragment hornet i am so looking forward to this. I will post pics on my build post as soon as i get it drilled :)

Back