Drilling the Back Wall

michaelallff

Reefing newb
I am looking to drill my 120-gallon tank with 1.5” overflows in the back wall of the tank. The tank is currently drilled. After the bulkhead I was going to use a 90-degree angle and then attach a strainer to the top. In theory it sounds great, I would have more room in the tank then if I drilled the bottom and also a lot less noise, which my wife tells me is a must. Though my theories are less then stellar most times. I guess I am looking at what you all think, back wall versus bottom.

If I'm understanding your description right your planning on have a 90° pointing up with a strainer on top on the inside of the tank. I really don't know anything about that design. I suppose in theory it would work, but I kinda think that might be kinda loud (no basis, just guessing). I'm sure somebody else will have something more constructive to add.

I drilled two 1.5" holes in the upper back glass of my tank for a 1500 gph overflow from glass-holes.com. The overflow box only sticks out about 2" on the inside my tank and is very quiet. That's just my :twocents: based on what I did. If you do decide to drill the bottom just make sure the bottom glass is not tempered.

why do you want to drill it again? if it already has overflows than i would leave it as is. why risk breaking the glass

Thanks Hornet and Daugherty, went to glassholes.com. I really like their product. Funny that I have never run across it. Its convenient and not a bad price for their all inclusive overflows, I mean drill bit included, nice. Daugherty sorry for the confusion, but my tank is not drilled. I reread my post, I could have phrased it a bit better. I want to drill it.

I agree with you ccCapt the base is most likely tempered, I think drilling it would cause a bit to much flow.

What do you all do for the return line? I mean do you just put it over the top or do you drill again into the tank for the return line. One thing I don’t like about over the top is the salt creep that happens. I uh, got a nasty shock some years ago from the salt around by light ballast.

Thanks for the advice. I read you build thread. Like you tank, it is always extremely helpful to see what others have developed. I appreciate your help.

Michaelallff-I just purchased and used the nano overflow drilling package that glass-holes.com sells. I posted my pics of the process on their website forum for all to see. It was about as easy as their video shows and their customer service is aweswome. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

Below is a link to my post.

SuperNano Drill

ok, so i recently got all deep into this, and i have a few other "extra" tanks around, 3 10 gal and 2 50's, and i'm thinking that i really should invest one or more of these into a sump/fuge.. after thinking over my designs, i've decided that i need to drill a couple of holes in one of them.. question is, i've watched the videos and looked over the hole saws, but the one thing that i'm not sure about is the tanks... how can i tell if the glass is tempered or not?

now i know that most bottoms are tempered, but i've heard that some older tanks(which mine are) were all tempered... so how do i know?

If you can figure out the manufacturer you can go to their website. Most of the major tank makers have a list of what panels are tempered.

If you have polarized glasses you can also see a pattern on tempered glass. As a reference you see the same pattern on the rear windshield of a car with polarized glasses.

ahh, yea, very true, i didnt think about that, yea you see the dots where it sat over the heating (tempering) burners...

Good call

thanks hornet!

Back