Drinking RO/DI waste water?

I'm not sure if this is the right section so please move it if it's not.

The RO/DI unit I have just wastes so much water by tossing it down the drain, I was wondering if the waste water is safe to drink? I know the purified water isn't, but is the waste water?

I had heard you weren't suppossed to drink DI water but believe that is based on that if you drink to much of it you can get the squirts and some stomach cramps. I know some people us RO/DI water to make their coffee/tea with. It probably wouldn't kill you to drink the waste water but I sure wouldn't want to. I mean the waste water does have alot removed before it becomes waste. It goes thru the particle filters and the carbon chamber first. But still drinking something called waste water just don't sound good.

That's a very interesting question. It would be nice to see an answer with some science behind it. But either way its nice to use on trees, flowers or gardens. Fill a kkiddie pool with it. Lots of uses

Well, the closest thing to science we're most likely to get without an all out lab is probably a TDS meter, so I'd have to say that if it's really that high, drinking it would be bad. I guess I'll just water the garden then.

Well think about it. We used to drink right from the streams. Drinking pure ro water is only supposed to be bad for u cause it's soo pure that the theory is that it will take as much outta ur body as good it would do.

As for drinking the waste water. Well yea the stuff that didn't go through the membrane is concentrated, but my tds meter sais that my waste is only in the 500's. Well national standards are something like 500 isn't it? So it's not that far outside the "national safe range". I personally wouldn't worry about it.

As for the kidney stones, been there and done that more than twice. Not fun. Doc said that no amount of water good or bad canhelp. I was instructed to cut out the sodas and incorperate as much lemon juice into my diet as possible. Supposedly that's about the only natural solvent for the solids that collect in the kidneys.

One thing that I'm not sure about is at what point the flouride gets taken out of the water. I don't know if it's getting trapped by the charcol or if that's something that the ro membrane handles. I would ges not the membrane. Ifthats the case then ok. But if something like the flouride or chlorine or chloramines are concentrated in the waste, well then I would think twice about drinking it.

Last edited:
we drink ro water but in does not pass through the di filter for drinking it only goes to the di for the tank water. but i would not drink waste water

Back