Dry rock in sump

candi_c

Reefing newb
I put LR in the DS tank and dry rubble in the sump.Not a good idea It is smelly so any suggestions on what to put in the fuge?

Its smelly because its cycling, and once its cycled it will all be live rock. Leave the big chunks in the DT and put the rubble in the sump.

Running some carbon can help with the odor.

You need to watch your ammonia and nitrites and nitrates because once the cycle is finished both ammonia and nitrites will read 0. That is when it is FINALY okay to add fish to the tank.

If you haven't read this yet. You should.
https://www.livingreefs.com/cycling-tank-adding-fish-and-corals-t26452.html

As far as the dry rock goes. I say mix it up put a little LR down in your sump and let it seed the dry rock. I did this when i cycled my tank and had no problems and i used 10 pounds of LR to seed 100 pounds of dry.

So when you cycle your tank, it goes through ammonia, which comes off your live rock, or dry rock that has dead stuff on it. Then turns into nitrites, then nitrates. Your best to let it al lcycle together and create the right bioload for your first fish.

I would just leave the rubble in the sump and the LR in the DT. It will all become live rock one way or the other.

Just let it run, when your ammonia is 0 in the tank and your nitrites are 0 and your nitrates are whatever number, start doign water changes and your good for fish. It will make no difference to the cycle with the dry rock in there. and the smell will go away.

Back