dry rock vs wet live rock

ace37

Boom goes the Dynamite
I am just curious as to whether it is worth spending the money on wet live rock. I have a few pieces of wet live rock and want more rock in my tank. I am thinking about buying alot of dry rock and then letting it become live rock.

There's nothing wrong with it, almost all of the rock in my tank was dry rock from marcorocks. In the end it'll be live just like the dry rock, and it's quite a bit cheaper.

I went all dry in my tank also, couldnt see spending anymore then I had to on something that will become live over a short period of time anyway.. I also ordered mine from marcorocks...

You seed the rock with a piece of live rock. Make sure you find a piece covered in multiple different colors of coralline and other life for the best results. ;)

all live means is that it has bacteria growing on it that can complete the nitrogen cycle. So after you cycle your tank and or its been in your tank for a few weeks, it will be live. But it can take a few months for it to look like rock that has been in a tank for awhile.

Thank you. I was getting ready to spend 150 on live rock. I am just going to buy some dry rock instead and use the live I have now to seed it.

Thats a good idea! save your money you will spend it on corals and numerous other things as well! and we were gonna split it good info!

I know we were going to splint it but to fill my tank with live would cost like 150 and you are right corals are expensive lol

Sounds good just gota pay the bills and see how much is left I am sure the wife would like to go to bismarck

yes then we shall go this weekend worse case scenario you guys get a free ride down in the family mobile to look around.

almost all of the rock in my tank was dry if you put a few algae covered live rock peices in a wavemaker or filter the waterflow will blow the algea off onto the dry making it seed quicker and get colorful

Back