Dry Wet Sump vs Refugium Sump

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by Philly Bourne, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Philly Bourne

Philly Bourne

Stumped on the Sump!! I need some advice where as i'm still kinda NEW to this,and hoped i can find someone with experience with this. I had my 56 gallon tank setup for alittlie over a yr now,and i gotten to the point where i put a few corals in. I wanna get a better filtration system before i go any further so I looked into the dry wet system with the bio balls. lfs says it would counter act everything i would be doing with a reef tank. I was told the refugium sump would be the way to go,and that i could also build one myself.. I'm not to sure of myself building it myself, So any advice would be very useful!! Thanks for your time.....

Philly Bourne, Mar 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Philly Bourne

Bifferwine I am a girl

Your LFS is correct. Skip the wet/dry with bioballs. That can actually lead to poor water quality in a reef tank. Your LFS is also right about a sump/refugium combo being the best option for you. Check the DIY section of this forum -- there are many threads showing people building their own. Basically, you can use any empty tank that fits in your stand. Most people use a 20 gallon long or a 29 gallon. Or if your stand is small, a 10 gallon will be fine.

Bifferwine, Mar 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Philly Bourne

Philly Bourne

Would you know any DIY sites that show step by step details on how to put it together... lfs cost would be $450.00 for complete setup, and like i said I dont know what Im doing here as far as putting one together...Need sump setup for dummies i guess!! lol

Philly Bourne, Mar 28, 2012
  4. Philly Bourne

Smitty

+1 Biff..check out the diy section on this site...or you can check out youtube.

Smitty, Mar 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question