DSB (Whats yours) please help

cmay

Reefing newb
Any information would be great Pleeeeeease

Hi all,

I'm deciding on the best option for DSB, I have read so many articles regarding this subject, some great advice.

I would really like to know the following from as many people as possible who use DSB:

Depth
Grade/s used
Length of time DSB has been running
Size of tank
Live stock

I know its a lot to ask for but hopefully this will help me understand exactly what works and benefit others.

Thanks everyone.

chris

Chris,
this is just my opnion on a DSB. this is what I have been running in my 50 gallon, 92 gallon and soon to be 240 gallon.
I run a bed that is anywhere from 4 to 5 inches deep. the reason for this is to create anaerobic zones (lacking oxygen) this is a place where your nitrobacter and nitrosomas can flourish. i use sand that is approx sugar grain size. a sand bed takes time to fully function properly. a good way to help this process speed along is to "seed" the sand bed. if you know a person or LFS that has an allready established tank see if you can purchase (or alot of times they will give) you a large cup full of sand. this contains all of the good critters and will give the population a good boost. and good live rock will help as well the more surface area you have for nitrosomas and nitrobacter to grow on the better. but like anything else in this hobby it takes time for it to establish and function properly.
hope this helped

I feel a six inch sand bed is too deep. the critters do not get that deep and if you have ever seen that black stuff on the glass at the bottom of the sand bed it is hydrogen sulfide. anyways, Im using a 4 inch sand bed with aragonite from carib sea reef select grade (1-2mm). Our helpful articles has an article on sandbeds and I personally agree with the contents of the article, however, as you know there are many opinions on the subject. I would recommend whoever you decide to follow that there is more in the system than the sand bed and even if you duplicate a system you may not get the same results. My best advice is to read as much as you can and take notes of the stuff that makes sense, then eliminate the conflicts and when you have a consensus you will know what to do and why. the understanding of the why is as important as selecting the direction. hope something here helps. happy fishin.

Thanks, I will keep reading, the opinion I seem to be getting is that a fine 3-4" DSB seems to be a good choice.

I agree,, I need to find out exactly what happens within a DSB and why.

Thanks

Chris.

i have 4 inch bed. been there 4 months. ive added 7 year old live sand, and 2 year old live sand to seed it. Livestock is 0. lost everything except snails and hermits.

I used southdown sand. Looks great, serves its purpose. but after i move, ill be going barebottom.

reef:

Not to hijack this thread, but do you think the DSB was the reason you have lost everything and how do you anticipate going barebottom will resolve that?

Just curious about your experience.
Brandon

anything is possible in this hobby. But i doubt it. I basically traced that back to my crap-ass local store. I wont be going there for anything more than water or drygoods/food.

The reason i thought of going barebottom, it that I think it looks pretty neat first off. And added flow helps, since i cant add much more now without a major sand storm. I will likely keep a rdsb, something like a 10 gallon tank. my next system will be much more thoughtout than this current one for sure.

This is to correct a mistake on the size of my substrait. reef select aragonite by carib sea is .5 - 1mm. sorry for the mis post.

I ran a DSB in my refuge only, worked great. That way if it ever mucks up I can replace it without disturbing the main tank.

Back