DT Overflowing Question

613ReefGuy

Reefing newb
Hey guys and gals,

I am currently working on my plumbing set up, and I have a question about my return line from the sump to my DT.

My tank is going to be drilled, one hole for my flow to sump, and one being my return directly into a bulkhead on the tank.

My sump design essentially has a small extra bulkhead located high up above the fuge. There will be pvc pipe running from this to a small empty tank (basically the size of my maximum flood volume should my return pump die). I know this isnt neccesary, but I figure a 10 gallon tank doesnt cost much, and if I can prepare for the worst, but expect the best.....than there is no harm.

My main concern I guess would be a blockage in my drain pipe which would cause it to not perform properly. If my pumps power isnt cut off it will possibly pump the entire return chamber (Realistically only about 2-3 Gallons in my 15 Gallon sump), into my DT. My concern is should my water levels ever be high already and this happens....I have 2-3 Gallons that overflows from my DT.

Is there a way to prevent that if I am entering the DT via a bulkhead?

Sorry if this sounds bad, I am just trying to get this water volume down pat, and do my best to prevent a disaster if I can.

Thank you as usual everyone.

What I've done w/ my 45g to cover either a power outage or a blocked intake pipe is turn off the pump, let all the water drain into the sump, and start scooping water out until the water level in the return stops rising...when you turn on your pump again. Then I'd shut off my intake (I had a HOB overflow, so I just stopped the utube), and see how much water my tank can take before it overflows.

It sounds complicated, but worse case scenario with mine, if the power cut off, my sump would not overflow if my water level was right (I had a piece of tape to mark my water line for top off)....and if my utube were to fail (or in your case, if you get a blockage), my pump would break before it pumped up too much water.

I now have a 125g...works the same way. OH and drill a small hole just below the water line of your dt return hose so the siphon stops if the water level gets too low.

If I read that right, You are saying that I have to run my return line up and over...and then down into my tank, in order to be able to create that hole at the water level to break the siphon.

That siphon is only broken should the hole begin to suck in air though right? Wouldnt my sump be at risk of overflowing in that case? It isnt really my DT tank that is in danger should the siphon break. What I am worried about is my return pump continueing to pump should my drain line become blocked. I guess worst case it is only the water in my return chamber....but its still water on the floor that I dont really want if it can be avoided. I think I will work on a similar design to my sump, and run a line to my emergency overflow tank, just the same as my sump. Will take up room, but I just feel safer with that option I think.

Back