DT's Phytoplankton

Tazer5000

Reefing newb
Hey all I was wondering if anyone elses water has gotten a little cloudy after feeding DT's Phytoplankton. I know that it will cloud the water at first, but, this has stayed for 2 days now. Like I said it is just a little cloudy and it looks more like small particles floating around instead of a cloud. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you check the exp.date?And how much did you add?
I use DTs phyto once a week in my 30 and only add about 1/2 a tsp,maybe a little less.But its never left any cloudiness except for the first few seconds.

I use it.Besides a slight green cloudiness when I first put it in.IT would clear up in a few minutes.Maybe you have a slight algae bloom?

I dosed for the first time 1 tsp to 12 gallon per directions from LFS. I really don't think it is algae bloom althought it may be. I just went topless as well. Wondering if it might have to do with it?

Usually when I go topless people turn a little green and cloudy, so I'd say it's normal.

Egh...that was bad...

Sounds like an algae bloom, except for the small particles thing. Maybe you have a powerhead that slipped, and it's blowing onto the substrate?? Or, if you just went topless maybe you've had a bit of evaporation and the water flow, being more intense in less water, is blowing things around?

Well,,,Going topless probably didnt have anything to do with the cloudiness.Im betting that you kinda ODed the water with the phyto and are having a little algae or bacteria bloom going on.

Could be a bacteria bloom but most likely from too much DT. water changes to clear it up and reduce your Dt to no more than 1/4 teaspoon once a week or even less once a week do not DT the tank until you get the cloudyness taken care of. once you get the tank cleared up and DT again if the cloudiness returns reduce the Dt even more. good luck keep us posted.

i hate to sound like this but i would have never add it to the tank i have a 30gal i pull my corals out and feed them in cuzz i really don't want that stuff in my main tank but thats just me

Bifferwine said:
Test your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Let us know what your params are.

Well, I don't know if I am just flat out unlucky or what. I get home today to find out that the power had been out all day long. Finally restored at about 6 pm.. So, needless to say all my parameters are spiked right now. I hope this doesn't do my tank in:frustrat:

Tested everything when I got home and while still high they are coming down.
Did a 25% water change. As for the inhabitants they seem to be O.K. but....
I think I have found the source for the "DUST" in the water. I believe it to be my Blue Fiji Devil Damsel kicking up substrate. I witnessed it today and I watched the little dust cloud kick up and swirl into the current.

I dont see any reason not to try it tazer.If you have any ammonia de-tox you might might want to use a dose.
Why has you ammonia spiked? Have you checked to make sure nothing has died?

To be honest ,Ive never used the Bio Spira.So I couldnt say to use it or not.I dont think it could hurt anything.
I would do at least a 50% water change to get some of that ammonia out of there before I added anything though.

Biro Spira will help the ammonia since its just live bacteria.I would go ahead and try that multiple water change method.If you do add Biro spira add it last.

What could of cause it Taz?Something has overloaded your system,if its not a death than maybe overfeeding?

Last edited:
What you are experiancing is a system crash. with the power out and no circulation your bacteria probably depleted the oxygen levels and crashed. you need good strong surface agitation, protein skimming and a major water change right away say 50 %. or smaller changes each day over the next few days to equal 50% or better. good luck and keep us posted. oh and make sure your fresh makeup water is at the same temperature as the main tank and has been well mixed for at least 24 hours.

Protein Skimming pros and cons??? I was thinking about the Current USA Fission skimmer. Any thoughts with this one? I had already done about 35% water change in the days prior to yesterday and about 25 or so last night. Levels are still falling... Should I use API AmmoLock?? Good strong surface agitation... How is that achieved???? I have a Hydor Flo Deflecting wavemaker with a Maxi-Jet 900 powerhead capable of 230g/hr. Do I need more suface agitation??

Back