Duncan corals

BigH55

I'm that guy
I picked up a frag of Duncan Coral today. Its only one head but I only paid five bucks for it. Ive never kept this coral and need some tips.

How much light?
Do I Spot feed it?
How fast do they grow?

heck of a deal, btw. Medium flow will be just fine, but I have friends growing duncans beside their SPS, so they definitely don't mind high flow. They will actually grow quite quickly if you spot feed them.

I'll try to grab some pictures of my friend Shane's duncan colony, it's huge and looks like an elegance, it's amazing!

That should be fine. They are pretty typical LPS coral, in that they do will in moderate flow and moderate light. And yes, they will greedily accept meaty foods, and this should boost how fast they grow.

It came off a colony that had 40 heads on it. The owner of the LFS broke one off for me (Since I go there all the time) and charged me 5 bucks. Ive seen some LFS charging 15-20 per head on them. Next piece will probably be a small elegance coral.

It came off a colony that had 40 heads on it. The owner of the LFS broke one off for me (Since I go there all the time) and charged me 5 bucks. Ive seen some LFS charging 15-20 per head on them. Next piece will probably be a small elegance coral.

make sure you get the australian elegance... it's going to cost you noticeably more, but its chances for survival are MUCH greater.

Vietnam Elegance have been lasting nice too. I've sold two of them and both are doing really good. Indo croak quick though

I treat my Duncan like my Dendro, feed every couple days mysis, they gobble the chit up

The LFS had a really nice one about 2 weeks ago. When I went in there today it was half gone. I couldnt believe it I almost bought that thing 2 weeks ago and boy would I have been screwed. It was expensive too. But huge.

I have duncans and they do great in just about any flow. Mine are in medium flow, about a third up in the tank. They love mysis shrimp. Mine didn't split for about four months but then just exploded. I went from three heads to nine heads in less than six weeks. They are one of my favorite corals.

I have duncans also. Mine didn't want to stay open when they had high flow on them. As soon as I moved them to a low flow area with med light they opened up and have stayed open.

I have to come clean. My name is Navarchus and I am a Duncan-aholic. Without a doubt this is my fav LPS (besides gonipora, but I still don't dare get a goni). My first LPS in my new tank is a Duncan. I have only had it for two weeks and I can already notice growth. My tank has very strong lighting (400w MH) and crazy-go-nuts flow (1600gph in a 120g tank with two Korilia4 1200gph powerheads). The Duncans are at the bottom of the tank and are doing great. I SO love them. Just wait until that single head you got splits and splits and splits!

I have a duncan coral with about 20+ heads. It started at about 7 when I got it last summer. I don't really do much in terms of spot feeding it, but when I have added mysis it definitly swallows it up. When My tank has a little less algae in it I will take some updated pictures. You can probably see them in a video on my tank showcase thread that is probably way back in the archive now.

I've had my duncans right at 3 weeks now I guess.Got em sitting in a corner with lower flow and medium light.Its just a 3 headed frag,but all 3 heads 3 to 4 small bubs starting to grow now.
Mine gets fed whatever my fish happen to be getting at feeding time.They havnt turned a meal down yet.

Back