Duncan Fragment Care

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
So since I've kinda made friends with the general manager at my LFS, i've been asking him to let me know when he gets coral in that is more rare/expensive so i could get a frag. Well today my wishes came true... when i went in there he had gotten in 2 frags of duncans and had them both on hold for himself but when i asked him about it, he said he would be willing to part with on of them, and the best part, he only charged me $15 for a three head frag. Ive never seen one like this either, its really brilliant green and is really pretty.

Now since this will be my most prized coral, i've done some research and found they like light (so probably place it higher up) and they like pretty strong current. Also, ive read that they grow much faster if fed meaty foods. Anything else i would need to know about them??

Well you should also know that you are not equiped to keep him, and that he would be better suited in my tank. J/K :^:

Great find, and an awesome price, post up some pics!

I have my Duncan placed in the sand where it gets moderate flow and moderate lighting. I feed each head mysis shrimp and meaty food once a week. I got mine 2 weeks ago and it's already growing 2 new heads. They're an awesome coral!
Picture006-1.jpg

That's a great deal!! I paid $15 for 1 head!! I have mine on the sand. I fed it twice a week for a month and it shot out 9 heads during the next 2 weeks. My clowns also host them off and on, but it hasn't been affected
with their nudging so duncans are very hardy. Good luck!!

alright, im trying to see if my lights will keep up, i also have a T5 fixture, only 4 bulbs though, i have the frag set up a third of the way up in the tank and its already opening... so i take it as a good thing

alright well its reassuring to know that someone has the same lights i do... Adept, do you have your duncans on the sand too??

alright well its reassuring to know that someone has the same lights i do... Adept, do you have your duncans on the sand too??

Ya, they're on the floor in med. to strong flow. They adjust well to any flow it seems like. Whenever I feed them I take the top 1/2 of a
20oz bottle I cut and place it over the duncans. Then I inject some mysis with cyclopeeze in there so all the heads can get something.

Sorry for the size and quality... my camera is dead (charging now) so i took this pic with my smartphone... Does it look ok/healthy??

Hiker, in person is looks just like yours, out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your frag?? And how many heads does it have?

18478_1151426074762_1500930697_30853847_5552975_n.jpg

Sorry for the size and quality... my camera is dead (charging now) so i took this pic with my smartphone... Does it look ok/healthy??

Hiker, in person is looks just like yours, out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your frag?? And how many heads does it have?

18478_1151426074762_1500930697_30853847_5552975_n.jpg

Yes, it does look healthy. The polyps are open nicely. I paid $24 for mine and it has 12 heads, 4 are mature heads and the rest are small ones, but are growing fast. I originally got it with 10, but it since pushed out 2 little ones.

Yeah, at first I thought it was a great deal. It was listed at buy 1 head get 2 for free so it was 3 heads for $24.00. When I opened the package I was shocked to find how large it actually was.

The only thing that Duncan needs,is some time in a good healthy tank and some food:D Thats a great looking frag.
FWIW,That would be a $75.00 frag around here.Duncans normally go for 25 a head.

I'm planning on feeding it daily, maybe twice a day and maybe turn it in to some money... the guy at the lfs, the general manager actually, who has a really nice 125 told me he would basically trade me any coral for duncans so hopefully ill be able to get some nice stuff

Back