Duncan Fragment Care

So each time i fed the coral, my wrasse HAS to have that food... even of other food is around. The last few times i used the 2 liter bottle trick which worked, but today i didnt feed it because it didnt open 100% so i decided to let it be, but ever time it did open, my wrasse was picking at it or trying to pick something out of it.... or i dont know really, but it didnt allow it to open fully.

Can this be a problem? Doesnt the coral sting the wrasse?

Duncans are fairly weak when it comes to stings.
What U normally do when I feed my duncans,is keep my hand close and wave my tangs away until the corals got its food engulfed.

Alright, ill probably just keep the bottle on longer... Hiker was saying that his duncan closes up randomly during all times of the day. Does your do the same?? Like today, mine didnt open more than half way all day. Is this normal??? I DID just get it a couple days ago, but until today it opened fully and ate a whole bunch, like 2 "meals" a day.

So my Red Back Wrasse just decided to be an butthole and every time the duncan opens, it goes it tries to pick at it... every time. I dont think theres food in there because i havent been able to feed it for the past 2 days because of it is always closed now...

Anything i can do about it?? I know some people recomend to cover it with something so the fish cant get to it, but that also blocks the flow to it. Would it be ok without good flow??

I'm really starting to despise wrasses... ive had bad luck with 3 of them so far... grr!

anything besides the bottle trick that might work?? hes a fast little monster and i definitely dont want to take my tank apart to take him out...

Try moving the Duncans somewhere else. It may confuse the fish, stupid fish.

Also, try dirlling/punching some holes in the side of the bottle if you want to keep it over the coral longer. That will allow at least a little flow through the bottle. I normally have problems with Nas. snails crawling over and into the bottle, so I just did the hole thing and put the top on the cap. So no more snails bothering my Duncan.

Last edited:
Ill probably do that and try to do that but I don't wanna have a bottle in my tank indefinitely... I'm gonna try to catch the wrasse... somehow

Go to wal-mart and pick up a small sinking fly for trout fishing.Either get one with a barbless hook or file the barb off so it dont tear the fishes mouth.
Then catching him out is as simple as going fishing,and it wont hurt your fish.

I'm trying to decide if that's a joke or not ha... would that really work??

I cant believe you thought I was jokin:shock: :D

Yeah it'll work.I've done it myself in my own tank.
Just dont pull the fish out of the tank with it just hanging on the line though.Once you got him hooked,net him.Then use a set of hemostates to gentley remove the hook and your free to move the fish to where ever you need to.

Back