Duncan's 90 gallon Reef upgrade

Discussion in 'Tank Showcase Comments' started by Solarfall, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Solarfall

Solarfall Totally Gnar

I'm just about ready to put my new 90 in place and cycle the new live sand I've gotten from a friend. I've got all the equipment and all that's left to do is clean out the tank itself and paint the back.

I'm definetly planning it out more this time around. I found an online magazine on RC that had a "tank of the month" that I'm more or less copying the design. The guy basically had "zones" for all types of coral. Here I have a rediculously complicated MS paint drawing/diagram of my intended setup:

[​IMG]

Yeah, I got carried away...
    And since I drew that a few things changed in the way I'm handling the sump and overflow/return. I'm converting both drilled holes into overflows and running 2 return lines off of my 1100 GPH external pump.
    That way I can designate one to just rippling the surface and the other to whatever I see fit.
    I'm also using a big tote for my sump and attaching a round container for a fuge kind of like what biff has. Acrylic tanks are hard to come by and I needed one in the 30-40 gallon range that would fit in my stand. Couldn't find one. And I don't trust a home-drilled glass tank in a situation like this where my return pump depends on it.

Here's the tank, waiting for a friend to come over and help me flip it around so I can clean and paint it.
    [​IMG]
    Got it from a friend pretty cheap.

Here's where it's going in the house.
    [​IMG]

And here's the skimmer I bought used for $140. It's an Aqua-C EV-180 in-sump. Retails at $339 (on the aqua-c site at least).
    [​IMG]

Now I just have to figure out whether I want to hang my MH fixture or use it the way I've been.

Solarfall, Aug 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Solarfall

Bifferwine I am a girl

That's going to look great!! It will be a big change from your 55. So much more room to work with.

Bifferwine, Aug 17, 2010
    Solarfall likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Solarfall

Solarfall Totally Gnar

Yeah I'm really glad I'll have so much more width. Leaning rocks on the back glass in a 12" tank is pretty much inevitable and makes it a pain to clean back there.

Solarfall, Aug 17, 2010
  4. Solarfall

BL1 ............. Moderator

I think I've seen the tank you're talking about, can't wait to see what you do with it

BL1, Aug 17, 2010
    Solarfall likes this.
  5. Solarfall

Solarfall Totally Gnar

Here's the tank I'm modeling this from
    Tank of the Month - April 2009 - Reefkeeping.com

I really like penninsula displays like what he has but I'm really sick of dealing with overflow boxes, so I'm settling with a normal style display.

Solarfall, Aug 17, 2010
  6. Solarfall

ccCapt Reef Hacker Moderator

If you want to push 1100 gph thru that overflow, you are probably going to have to cut out 1/2 the "teeth". As is, I highly doubt it will handle that much flow without the water rising over the top of the overflow.

ccCapt, Aug 17, 2010
  7. Solarfall

BL1 ............. Moderator

Yep that's the same one I saw

BL1, Aug 17, 2010
  8. Solarfall

Solarfall Totally Gnar

Well since I'm having 2 outlets and the stand is really tall (it comes up to about my chin with tank+stand and I'm 6'3") the head loss will be pretty significant. My head loss calculator is giving me a result of about 700 GPH so I should be alright. If not, I'll have ball valves on both outlets anyway.

Solarfall, Aug 17, 2010
  9. Solarfall

reeffreak

Congrats,not only on the new system but for the patience and time for doing all that with Paint!

reeffreak, Aug 18, 2010
    Solarfall likes this.
  10. Solarfall

Dakwan

haha lovin' the paint picture. Love the big shit eating grin on the black percula clown

Dakwan, Aug 18, 2010
    Solarfall likes this.
  11. Solarfall

Solarfall Totally Gnar

That black clown is a pain in my ass. Bites me every time I put my hand in the tank.

Anyway, everything's ready, I just need to let the new stain on my floor dry. I figured it would be good by now but it's still kind of tacky after 3 days.

I'm going to run every thing on tap water to make sure it circulates properly then I'll be cycling the sand some time next week.

I currently have 6 fish in my 55 and I'll be tossing one in the frag tank so I'll have about 4 open fish slots.

I definetly want one more tang. Really want a purple but I don't think it'll work out with my Yellow. But I also really want to try a small harem of Anthias. Will 1 male and 2 female Anthias be okay in a 90?

Solarfall, Aug 19, 2010
  12. Solarfall

reeffreak

Be careful with anthias and clowns together.If the clown bites your finger then it's a good chance it will bite the anthias,especially their tails.

I think a trio of bartletts or lyretails will work in that size system.

reeffreak, Aug 19, 2010
  13. Solarfall

ggNoRe

Can't wait to see it unfold! I planned to model a tank after Seapug's in the future as well. :mrgreen:

ggNoRe, Aug 19, 2010
  14. Solarfall

Solarfall Totally Gnar

Havn't really been on in awhile. But I've had my 90 up for a while:

[​IMG]

I'm going to try being more active on here. Just been real busy lately.

Solarfall, Dec 10, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question