Duncan's getting ponies!! 40g column build

Still figuring out exactly what I want to do with the tank.

I checked it out and I can fit a 10g sump down there. So I think I'm gonna do that with a 800 or so GPH return instead of getting a powerhead.

I have a bit to drill the tank, but I'm not sure if I feel comfortable doing it.

Plus I still havn't gotten sand or rock yet out of my mom lol. I think other than the rock and sand I have everything I need though. So It shouldn't be too long.

I have drilled several tanks and it is really simple. Nothing to be afraid of. Just make sure that you turn the speed down on your drill and adjust the chuck lock to a low setting. When you run the drill don't put pressure on it, just let the weight of the drill rest on it. Get some plumbers putty and make a bowl around the area you want to drill, fill the bowl full of water and start cutting. Also, make sure you put something below the hole inside the tank to catch the piece when it falls. It would be a shame to cut a perfect hole and break the opposing side just by dropping the cut out. Last bit of advice, make sure the glass is not tempered.

lol, as I was typing that I thought great, I said it's simple and now I'm turning it into a novel... Someone's going to call me on this...

Should have known it would be you! :)

If you are nervous go on CL and find a free 10g (we have them often?)... practice makes perfect.

heh yeah I've done it before on 10 gallons and broken half of them. I think it's because 10gals are 1/8" glass though, whereas this tank is 1/4".

Is there a limit to how many times I can use this bit?

there is a limit, but not based on how many times you have used it so much as how well the saw is cutting. It will wear differently based on how it is used. If you notice any chipping as you drill, it is probably nearing the end of its life. I would guess that those 10's broke because you put too much pressure on the bit as it cut or you were using a drill that spins too fast. Your goal should be to reduce heat and friction as much as possible. Set your drill to the lowest settings, and just let it do the work. It takes a while, but it will make the cut without breaking if you don't force it.

Last edited:
I don't know where you live, but we have a glass store that will do it for like$25? Maybe worth it? But that is if you can find someone to do it?

Well my LFS does it for $20 per hole. But since I already have this $35 drill bit I kind of want to do it myself. And for that matter be able to do it in the future.

If I absolutely can't get ballsy enough to do it myself that's what I'll do though lol.

Plus I'm really not in a rush to get this tank going. My hours have been getting cut badly recently so spare cash is slim to none. Hell, at $60 per pony this thing isn't going to see life until I have it cycled and perfect parameters, no exceptions.

The key is to keep it really wet, I take a ring and silicone it to the tank then drill slowly adding more water to the area when/if needed. You want to try to stay consistent and even. drill slowly. My husband drills tanks all the time.

Back