durso standpipes

also, i read that since the intake is under water, it doesnt skim the surface as well, leaving the top unskimmed. could i modify the intake to be up top instead of the pointing down to skim the top?

The drain will get the stuff thats on the surface.Once it goes into the overflow box,the drain will pick it up even though the screen is pointed down.

also, i read that since the intake is under water, it doesnt skim the surface as well, leaving the top unskimmed. could i modify the intake to be up top instead of the pointing down to skim the top?

I've never tried this method, but this is what the 'Hofer Gurgle Buster' is for. Evidently it's similar to an up side down Stockman Aqua-Silencer ... sort of. It surface skims.

Here's the link:
Hofer Gurgle Buster

Is there any secret to the Durso pipe that I am not seeing? It IS just a pvc pipe that turns upside down at the top so that it does not suck the water from the surface right? I am trying to fully understand how it works since I will be having to install one on my drilled tank.

Well sort of. Water does not enter the standpipe from the surface, which is what makes it quiet, but it also has a small hole on the top which acts as a siphon break.

For instance IF you made your Durso and placed your finger over the hole ... the Durso will create a solid siphon, siphon water down until it sucks air while making a horrible slurping sound.

It's likely the simplest DIY there is.

The efficiency for pulling the organics off the top of the water is seldom a problem of the Durso stand pipe. The water going into your over flow tower or box is supposed to be water skimmed from the top of your tank, therefore your Durso drains what ever is supplied to it. Unfortunitly most overflow towers also have water entry slots around the miidle of a tanks depth, so besides its dilutional effect it also causes the top slots to have a less forceful draw on the waters surface diluting the water even more. It is wise to plug off any holes feeding water to your stand pipes other than surface slots. Epoxy works under water and will readiy block off slots at low levels of overflow towers in "Reef Ready" tanks. Sometimes a Durso whistles as it sucks in air. This can be controlled by slightly (yes slightly) increasing the holes diameter. Or an even better method is to enlarge the hole to 1/4 inch diameter and lowering a piece of rigid plastic airline tubing down the hole until the noise level is the lowest. Then mark the length of the rigid tube and remove it and cut it about an inch longer than the marked length. Affix it with silicone or just wrap a couple wraps of tape around the tube and slide it back into the durso's hole until the tape stops its further entry.

Back