dusting off the credit card to build the sump....have flow rate ?

garydm

Reefing newb
Ok Im ordering all my stuff for my sump(thanks for all the help) and im looking at the flow rates and Im wondering if this will work...
Ok the HOB overflow flows 300gph, the skimmer is 530gph, the mag 7 flows 675gph
So will this set up work??? Oh and im going with a 30 gallon sump,seems like my overflow needs to drop more water.....but its rated up to a 75 gallon tank....sooo:frustrat:

I think you'll be fine. The overflow should handle w/e the mag7 pumps back. I have a mag5 in my 20g sump for a 29g DT and it has easily cleared a corner of my tank of sand with my return nozzle being pointed up as much as possible.

The only thing I would change,is I'd get at least a 600gph overflow.That way you know you can move enough water and not have to throttle the pump back with a ball valve.

yea but dont forget, that the pump puts out 675 @ zero head, depending on how high his tank is, lets guess for a second 5 feet, then withouth looking up that pump, i'd guess it looses about half, so just call it 350 for big round #'s...

not that far off from what the overflow is rated for.. if you get too bigga overflow, then you wont have enough velocity in the syphon tube to keep the bubbles cleared out, and then you'll have a mess.

well I guess Ill bump up my overflow to the next biggest.....I would rather dial it down with a ball valve than not have enough flow rate

The needle wheel sits inside your sump. The recirc skimmer sits outside of your sump, on the ground, and you need to buy an extra pump to bring water from the sump to the skimmer.

Ok now im at a stand still....cant make my mind up on if I want it out side the sump or inside the sump.....hmmmm

yea I ordered the inside the tank and ordered my overflow, k2 and k3 and pump so I just need to get my sump set up

I got the external one. You would never notice that there are so many places that would have water leak out until you get one. I would certainly get the in-sump one when I need to get one again.

Back