Dutch Aquarium Systems (DAS) anyone know the quality

jvaccari

Reefing newb
I am planning on getting a new tank and the guy at the store recommend the DAS aquarium. It comes with built in filtration and the quality of the way it was built looks great. Anyone have experience or know about them??

So those are cool but... isn't that what the live rock is for? It looks like there would not be enough room for 1-2 lbs of rock in those tanks. They are nice looking tho

I was just look at the site and I think those are freshwater tanks.

Last edited:
They look like they are for freshwater, not saltwater. The lighting systems they accommodate are not strong enough for reef tanks, and they have those tree branches in them? Trees are not found on reefs.

If you like it, then go for it. No prices are listed on the website, but I'm sure you will end up spending a lot more than if you just bought a regular tank yourself. You may end up running into problems down the road with water quality because they are for freshwater, though.

What makes you say there freshwater? They don't come with the back ground and they have a built in sump and comes with no lights. I know the website Sucks and doesn't help that's why I am asking everyone! They are apparently Dutch made and the quality looks great. A major local fish store is selling them. It's a great price too

They are for freshwater because:

A) the decor includes logs. Logs are not part of a reef ecosystem.
B) the filtration consists of spiral foam, which in a reef tank can lead to high nitrates.
C) the light system in the picture shown (where it says "light system optional" is a freshwater light. It would be difficult to fit a set of lights suitable for saltwater with the way the canopy is setup. You could do it, but it would have to be modified.

Does your major local fish store sell freshwater and saltwater setups? If they are not exclusively saltwater, their area of expertise is probably not saltwater.

No one is telling you not to buy it. We are just pointing out things that may make keeping a reef with it more difficult.

They definitely make saltwater tanks. It looks like they design them for stores, etc. the logs etc. are options that you can buy if you're using the tank for other purposes. I seriously doubt they are Dutch Made, (why would that matter anyway, what are the Dutch known for making besides wooden shoes?)

However, they may be made by a guy named "Dutch"... This is a "mom and pop" store trying to break into the tank building business...If you scroll down to the bottom of the site, you'll see they use Homestead to build their site. Homestead is a site building software that is free, typically used by Quickbooks owners who want to build a cheap site. Any company that has enough money to come across the ocean to provide fish tanks, is not using Homestead to build their site.

I'm sure the guy can make a nice tank, but I'd feel better going with something that is manufactured by some of the bigger players. Do you need a custom built tank for some reason?

But I'm 99.9% positive that this "IS NOT" a Dutch Company. It's a guy who happens to build tanks for his local Pet stores.

What makes you say there freshwater? They don't come with the back ground and they have a built in sump and comes with no lights. I know the website Sucks and doesn't help that's why I am asking everyone! They are apparently Dutch made and the quality looks great. A major local fish store is selling them. It's a great price too

What is a Great price. They do look nice and may even be great quality, but how much are they?

I have a DAS custom tank and it is better built than most tanks I have come across. I bought mine used and cheap. Then pulled the filter out and went with overflow box and I built my own 50 gal sump. If you can get the tank for cheap and then make the mods you want, then I say go for it. Tank quality is great! I have a 165g DAS Custom.
Dallas North Aquarium Swears by them. They guys there said they service 15 to 20 of his tanks locally and they love the quality of the tanks. Just my 2 cents.

Then pulled the filter out and went with overflow box and I built my own 50 gal sump. If you can get the tank for cheap and then make the mods you want, then I say go for it.

Exactly my point. The filtration system it comes with is not good enough for saltwater. If you want to use it for saltwater, you are better off making modifications to the system.

it is a couple hundred dollars difference from a perfecto tank and montery series stand and it comes with a the built in sump. its going to be a fish only saltwater so i wonder how much mods to the filter i would have to do

Let me back up here. What size tank are you looking for? Are you wanting a "display" unit, or just a basic tank? With this unit, are you counting the "built in filter" as a sump, or does the unit they are telling you about come with a sump in the stand and what size is it?
Earlier I answered your question based upon the quality of the DAS tanks, and I still say they are great. Individual tanks, or displays. They make good tanks, but you might find a little more advice here if you could tell us a little more about what you are wanting size wise and what fish you want to keep.

210 gallons it comes with a built in sump and the sump takes up the whole bottom of the stand. I have complaints that there isn't that much room in the sump but it seems pretty large.

Just food for thought here...

Did you check Craigslist? There are always people getting out of the hobby.

I use a 55g for a sump on a 180g, used off craigslist. You can install the baffles in your own very easily. So that'll save you money.

The Perfecto 220g with my club discount is $799. 72x24x30. You shouldn't have too hard of a time, finding one for that price..

I don't know how much stands and canopies are because I don't use them. I just think you could save alot of money...

Back