dwarf angel problems

hickernellc92

Reefing newb
iv had a dwarf rust angel for a few months and is doing fine but the thing is an ass. about 4 times its chased new fish to the point that the new fsh jumped out of the tank. i dont have a lid on my tank but lately iv been thinking that i should get some egg crate or something to put on top to prevent the jumpers. but then i think that the angel might chase the fish till they die. any advice?

I think you need to try to catch and remove the aggressive fish. Odds are that his personality won't change. You can also try rearranging the rocks to confuse him into being less territorial. And leave the lights off for a couple days whenever you add a new fish. When you finally turn the lights back on, the angel may think it was there all along.

+2 to all the suggestions.

Sorry to hear aboutl your "killer angel".

I have 3 dwarf angels (Coral Beauty, Flame and Cherub) in 3 different tanks and have never seen that kind of aggression out of mine. My 3 will definitely stand up for themselves and let any new fish know they are there, but never to the point of chasing the new fish to death. Even after adding a new fish the chasing usually stopped after and few days.

Good luck with whatever course of action you take.

Mine did this with my last addition. He was a real ass. Chasing an nipping everyone. I took the advice of folks here, put in a little mirror and moved a few things around and he calmed right down. It was also suggested that I remove him from the tank for a day, then add him back so he thought he was the last fish added. I didn't get to that point but was sure willing to try it.

Back