Dwarf Angelfish, good bad and ugly

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Can anyone tell me about Dwarf angelfish? Specifically a Coral Beauty or Flame. Just researching so don't panic! Need to know compatability issues in my FOWLR. Here is my current fish and wanted list:

3 Green Chromis (in tank) 1" - 1 1/2"
Snowflake Clown (in tank) 1 1/2" maybe slightly more.
Various snails (in tank)
Some type of sand sifting Blenny?
Dwarf Angelfish ?
RG Basslet ?
FoxFace Lo (last fish to be added at some point later)

As far as your list goes, I think either angel would fit in nicely. I would suggest however not to wait till last to add the foxface, that will be the shyest most docile fish in your tank. I'd consider adding it earlier in your list somewhere.

I have both in my tank. The guy told me they will either get along or fight till the death.

Neither has ruined any Corals but when I put in the Flame they fought for two mi.uses and not since. They hang out a lot.

I also have a Foxface and it is really shy if I do something that scares it. It is rather outgoing mostly and seems to be in the middle of everything.

It does hide during water changes against the back wall like you can't see him.

I have a Coral Beauty (great fish) along with a Sailfin Tang (who will be moving to my 180g very soon!!!) and also in the 60g is a large Maroon Yellow Stripe Clown and blue damsel. I think a Coral Beauty would get along great in your tank. I also have a OneSpot Foxface in my 180g and they can be a bit on the shy/timid side especially when working in the tank. I agree with the others if you want to add a Foxface I would probably do it next.

+1 brian....my foxface is the shyest. In fact, for the longest time, he only hung around one side of the tank. But since adding 2 more active fish (a coral beauty and a kole tang), he's been out and about more. But he definitely benefited from being added early.

Thanks for the info. So all the info I have on the FoxFace is wrong. Go figure. All of the FoxFace I have found here are much larger than the fish in my tank. I know they will grow, and I know the FoxFace can reach 9". That's why I was glad to learn that they should be last in. Now that changes. Gotta make a new plan.

I did find one small FF at a real dump of a LFS. place looks like crap, but he has the reputation of having the BEST livestock in town. It was suggested that one as small as that one, 2" maybe, wouldn't do well being so young. Plus I'm still new to this and don't want to stress a little one too much. Guess I'll just keep looking.

Yeah, my foxface, by far, is my favorite fish. I was worried at first about him accidentally spearing my other fish, but that never became an issue. Just watch the spines if your foxface is TOO friendly...I think Yote's been stung a few times at his LFS by eager foxfaces lol

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a larger FF. Even if it's a lot larger then the fish you add after it, you almost never have to worry about FF bullying other fish. At least I've never heard one story about a FF being a bully.

Just curious, are these guys safe with Zoanthid? How about mushroom coral? I'm not adding the corals yet, but will in the future. I would hate to have to either skip the corals or remove a fish in a few months.

SO I picked up a Flame Angel today. Pretty little thing for sure. VERY shy though. Went straight into hiding right after I acclimated it.I have seen it swimming thought the rock and seems to have found its own highway system behind and through my rock. I didn't know I left those kind of gaps in there! The Chromis seem to be ignoring it. Heck, all they ever want is to be fed! The clown though, not sure. If I read it right, there have been some dirty looks going back and forth between the two. I'll have to wait and see.

I've been feeding all my fish various formulations of Sally's frozen cubes. Mixing it up at every feeding trying to make sure that with at least one feeding someone is getting something they like and that is healthy. I have been reading about Rod's foods. More folks seem to prefer it. Is there any special way to change over to new foods? I know my dogs get pretty bad tummies when I change their diet. Even the Beagle who will eat ANYTHING! Anyway, I digress. Any suggestions would be great!

You can just change right over with fish, I wouldnt worry about it too much. I also believe it will help to keep the chance of the flame turning to munching corals low if you feed them every day.

Every day? Hah! I feed twice a day! Should I not? Just less than a 1/2 cube in the AM and the rest in the PM. I know it's a little more than needed but the skimmer is taking care of the extra.

That is quite a bit of food for those fish in one day, i would go with a quarter in the morning and quarter at night if you want to keep feeding twice a day

LF, just so you know, I cut feeding in half. They don't seem to mind but do get very excited when it's feeding time! Even the new Angel is getting in on the action!

Back