Dwarf Angels and Coral

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
[Yes, I'm still trying to finalize my stocking list! lol]

So, I've generally heard that flame and coral beauty angels are the safest bets in terms of finding a non-coral eating angel (and I know it's still a 50/50 chance). Is there anything else that helps increase the chances you won't get a coral eater (aside from finding a known non-coral eater from another hobbiest who is getting rid of a fish)? I'm wondering if getting them smaller or larger makes a difference, or if food soaks help, etc? I'd like to add an angel, but only if there's a pretty good chance they won't eat my coral! Also, are there particular corals they are more prone to eating? Anything I can put on those colonies to deter them that won't harm the coral? Thanks!

I was told once by my LFS store that a Pygmy was the only dwarf angel that he ever knew of not to go after corals, but other than that I don't know.

Always a chance, my friend. I really like my Flameback, and he's been a fairly good guy about not nomming the coral. Although if he's bored or hungry, he will take an occasional swipe at my leather. Retrospectively, I probably would have gone with a coral beauty and just taken my chances. Or if I could have gotten a Flame from Hawaii, that would have been really great. I've heard bad things about Flames from other areas being laden with internal parasites and having a hard time in captivity, but Flames from Hawaii aren't supposed to have that problem. Idk. Good luck though, whatever you decide.

Thanks for the info on the flames. I've also heard off-hand that flames tend to get sick easily - so if they are known to come in with parasites then this makes sense. Not only do I not want to get a sick fish, but I don't want it to spread new diseases to my fish who have been very healthy up to this point. If I get an angel, it will be from LA, preferably DD so that I at least have a slightly higher chance of getting a healthy specimen. I'll also keep my eyes open for Hawaiian specimens. I'm just trying to decide whether its worth the risk with the corals.... so hard to decide! Any reason in particular that you would do a coral beauty over your flameback, or is it just for coloration purposes?

Last edited:
For coloration purposes, I chose the flame angel.

Absolutely beautiful fish that I would always want in my tank. My tank is a mixed reef and I have no trouble with this guy. I have never seen parasites nor has he been sick. On occasion, and this is rare, I will spot him take a nibble at a coral as he passes but then move on. It is nothing detrimental to the tank. Just its own natural instincts to take a bite :)

the flame and coral are the two angels giving me the hardest time
fussy eaters and bullies.

my angel list
lemonpeel,bicolor,keyhole,coral,potters,flame and eibli

My flame has been good. He'll nip at my Monti once and a while but doesn't seem to hurt it.

On the same note, my LFS will no longer recommend coral beauties as even possibly reef safe. The last batch of them they had ALL came back because they were destroying customer's corals.

Still, it's all the luck of the draw. Can't count on any fish being what you expect. Even flames are known to be bullies. Mine is the tough boy of my tank. Even my Maroon clown steers clear of it!

Coral beauties are a little larger and showier, and about half the price (or less) of a flameback. Ash is full grown and only about 2.5 inches long. And while the flameback is supposed to be fairly docile and non-aggressive, mine has been a butthead to all new fish in the tank except my maroons. OTOH, my flameback is fat, healthy, sassy, pretty, and neat to watch. So i don't regret getting him. Just gonna go a different direction if/when i get another angel down the road.

I have a Coral Beauty and I had a Flame (Lost him to ICH, RIP Scorch!) There is always a chance that they will go after your corals but if you give them a varied enough of a diet hopefully they will leave your corals alone. Neither of the angels I had in my tank bothered my corals. I really miss my Flame, he was so colorful and beautiful as is my Coral Beauty, very aptly named fish. I also have a friend that keeps a Flame and a Bi-Color angel without any problems but as we all know that can change very quickly. If you plan on getting both a Flame and a CB you might want to add them at the same time before one declares the tank as his or hers and if possible get 2 fish about the same size. Dwarf Angels have been known to be quite nasty to each other. Anyone else can chime in here if I am wrong.

No, you are right. It's common for them to fight with each other if they are in the same tank. To reduce the risk of aggression, you're better off sticking with one angel.

If you are going to get more than one it is HIGHLY recommended, dare I say a must, to put them in together at the same time. I have an Eibli and a Nox. They get along just great and fortunately do not pick at my corals. Another thing to do to ensure success is to buy one angel smaller than the other.

Ya i had a Flame for a few years ago when i lost him to to carpet gods. sometimes i would notice him take lil nips at my corals, but never to the point where he would be eating them, i guess it's a 50/50 like u said. But aside from that none of my fish in my tank liked him very much, maybe his amazing colors made the rest jelly. =)

So I'm looking at either a flame angel or a bi-color angel as kind of the centerpiece of my tank (probably the last addition I will make, as well, so i'd have 2 clowns, a damsel and a dwarf angel).

Any suggestions? I like both, but the bi color seems probably the safer of the two. (I would LIKE to get an anemone for the clownfish too, but dont know if i could do that with a flame or bicolor)

I have always wanted a flame angel....I keep thinking that I just might go ahead and do it.

Flame angels are the best! Everyone should have one, mine is worth every penny I paid for his overpriced behind.
Josh, don't worry about the anemone, your tank won't be ready for it for at least another 9-12 months. They need perfect conditions, stability and maturity. The clown doesn't need it so no worries.

Awwwww. This dang patience thing does not go over well with me for saltwater fishkeeping :(

Never was one of my strong suits. Guess i'll have to learn it huh!

Back