Dwarf Angels - tank mates?

Brian Dixon

Reefing newb
Hello All,
Does anybody have any success stories of being able to house Dwarf Angels together such as the Flame, Coral Beauty, Multicolor, Lemonpeel Halfblack Hybrid or Yellow?
I have a 55gal with lots of live rock with a 3.5 inch P. Antennata, a medium sized Snowflake Eel and a medium sized Green Brittle Starfish. When you consider the current inhabitants and the tank size, I am very limited on the possible tankmates. I find these dwarf angels to be very beautiful and two or three would add some moving color to the aquarium. All three of the current residents mostly just hover or lounge on or under rocks! It seems to me that the Dwarf Angels would be large enough to not be eaten by any of these three would-be predators.
Thanks for any info,
Brian

The angels would most likely fight with each other. You can try it if you want, but you usually can't keep more than one in the same tank (even if they are different types). Maybe pick one?

Have you considered some sort of small tang or wrasse? There are lots of pretty wrasses out there that would work well with the animals that you have, and a yellow tang or yellow eye kole tang would be okay in a 55 gallon tank.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the site. If you do try to house them together, its best to add them at the same time, you'll have a greater chance of them living together...good luck!

I do have 3 diffrent types of dwarf angels but i mite be an exception to the rule cause i have a huge tank and they have alot of territory to call their own. I didnt introduce them at the same time and did have a lil squabbling at first, but eventually they all learned to coexist

I havent seen any of them picking at any corals. What should I be on the look out for. Any particlar coral their favorite:frustrat:

Normally they'll go after zoas,clam mantles,sponges,and sometimes SPS polyps.
The flame I had never touched a coral for the first year I had him.But when he started,he wouldnt quit.

well they dont mess with my clam as of yet and I dont ever see them touching my polyps but i'll keep an eye on them:frustrat:

It depends on the type of dwarf angel, and more importantly it really depends on the individual personalities of the fish you get. Some flame angles are peace loving hippies, while others are war mongers.

Thanks for the welcomes and responses in general,

Sarah, you're probably right. My fish books all warn against it but I was hoping that somebody would tell me they had defied the odds and been successful. If ltljoker
has a 210 and he experienced squabbling, then no doubt I would have 55 gallons of war on my hands. I guess I'll go for a coral beauty and a small yellow tang. They should do well enough at adding some color.

Thanks,
Brian

Back