dwarf sea hares

thats a good question. My LFS just got some sea hares in. are they hardy,and will they live in young tanks.?(sorry for hijacking ur thread)

From Live Aquaria's website, there doesn't seem to be much that's dwarfish about them. It says their maximum size gets to be 1 foot, and their purchase size is 1 3/4" to 4". That's the same size as a regular ol' sea hare. I think they're kinda the same thing. Plus, the "dwarf" sea hare is the same genus as the regular sea hare.

i see what the difference is. the shipping size is different. very sneaky. the "dwarf" sea hares are about 1" shorter than normal sea hares. bah. and here i thought they were going to be permanently <6"

Nope, I'm pretty sure they're the same thing... They are neat little animals though. I really loved my sweet Jessica I and Jessica II.

I have heard they do not last long, and when they die they are very toxic unless you can find them and get them out. I found one in my nano awile back.

Are these the little ones with blue spots? I bought one a month ago and after a week I never saw it again. It's gone. I have pipefish that are very sensitive and after he disappeared I had no ill effects though, my tanks parameters are pristine.

I have 2 and have had them for about a month now
SeaHare1.jpg

I have done a lot of reading on them and there is no conclusive evidence that says they let off toxic when they die.
Also the ink they can let out sometimes (I have never seen them ink) is not toxic.

Back