Dying Anemone

Nate0712

Reefing newb
I know anemones are not corals but I just have a few questions about what an anemone will do before it dies. I got a Bubble tip anemone a couple weeks ago and my clown instantly hosted it. Yayyyy But lately the anemone looks shriveled and I dont think that its pooping because its been that way for a while... Someone raise my spirits

When my first anemone died it would float to the top an i could never get it to stay at the bottom of the tank. Then i notice like on the bottom of it a brown looking gew!!! then later it went back to the bottom. the next day i notice it was doing that all over an got it out right away!! If u dont it gets nasty!!

I know anemones are not corals but I just have a few questions about what an anemone will do before it dies. I got a Bubble tip anemone a couple weeks ago and my clown instantly hosted it. Yayyyy But lately the anemone looks shriveled and I dont think that its pooping because its been that way for a while... Someone raise my spirits

Hi , can you post a pic? I am a bit of an anenome junkie, I have a dozen and I have found they do some amazing things with their bodies inthe course of a natural week. I have had one die. It shrunk down and hid under the rocks and over a period of weeks it got smaller and smaller. Finally it couldn't hold onto it's rock. I was keeping it in a QT so that it wouldn't cause problems and I could tellit was going to give up the ghost when it starting "melting".

Most of my anenomes - you never see them poop. I tell their health by how hungry they are, their color and if they are active, ie swelling and shrinking regularly.

Hope this helps. See if you can get some pics up here....
here are a few of mine:
hellfire anenome
2012-03-12205836.jpg

bubble tip and a magnifica
2012-03-11184523.jpg

warratah
2012-03-11184523.jpg

manjo ( most people consider them pests, he's one of my my favs)
2012-03-11184446.jpg

sand anenome ( seabae?)
2012-03-11184625.jpg

mini carpet
2012-03-22161959.jpg

Last edited:
Nems are some of the more challenging animals to keep in this hobby, requiring pristine water conditions and stability. Two traits that not often found in new tanks. They also require higher than average lighting, higher than corals requires. We dont recommend that nems be kept in tanks younger than a year because of this.

What are your water parameters? Any amounts of nitrates are intolerable, as are phosphates.

Triggerhappy - I do hope you are giving some extra TLC to the white nem you have, especially if that is a H. magnificia, because they are very hard to keep and that one is looking really sick.

And what you called a seabee nem looks more like a hairy mushroom to me, but its for sure not a seabee nem.

My ammonia and nitrite are at 0 but my nitrate will be anywhere from 0-10 on a weekly bases. And I dont have a phosphate test but im using distilled water so that should be fine. Ill try and get pictures.

Nems are some of the more challenging animals to keep in this hobby, requiring pristine water conditions and stability. Two traits that not often found in new tanks. They also require higher than average lighting, higher than corals requires. We dont recommend that nems be kept in tanks younger than a year because of this.

What are your water parameters? Any amounts of nitrates are intolerable, as are phosphates.

Triggerhappy - I do hope you are giving some extra TLC to the white nem you have, especially if that is a H. magnificia, because they are very hard to keep and that one is looking really sick.

And what you called a seabee nem looks more like a hairy mushroom to me, but its for sure not a seabee nem.

Thanks Little Fish,
My poor whitey is a rescue who gets fed every day and is doing well. He has even regained some color in one of his tentacles so far. Slow road but he gets his TLC and has moved over to sit right next to the magnifica and seems to like it there a lot.

The one down on the sand is definately an anenome but I haven't been able to type him yet. Will sing about it when I do.

Good to hear that trigger! And you should be named "nemhappy" not "triggerhappy"!

Yeah I agree about the name. I fell in love with a niger trigger some time ago and will have one again when I have the right environment for him.

Mind you I am picking up my first Picasso Trigger today. :DHe has been on hold while I get things ready for him. He is the smallest trigger I have ever seen (maybe 1.5inches) but I have seen him eating and I am hoping that by starting out with teeny tiney carnivores and a little bigger anthias I can have a school of anthias in my new FOWLR with him and a couple of others. He'll start in the QT and move to the 4 foot as soon as he is ready. I am prepared to move to an 8 foot tank when we need to and he and his mates get big. Hopefully wont be for a year or two.

Good idea, but I do worry about him being that small. Very small guys almost never make it, even if they are eating. Good luck with him! Feed him as often as you can for the best chance of success.

Back