Dying toadstool?

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
So, one of my toadstools looks like it may be dying. Hasn't extended its polyps in over a week, and has a brown slime-like covering (although doesn't feel like slime when I touch it, it's rather dry) over it - almost the appearance of cyano. I don't think it's natural mucus and looking at pics of brown jelly disease, I'm not sure that's it either.

Any ideas? I'll snap a photo when I get outta work. It happened after I fragged it...I think I may have gotten it infected. :grumble:

Luckily, one of it's frags has grown pretty big, so I won't be too bummed if it dies.

It may be just shedding, sometimes toadstools look crappy and like they're dying when they go thru that. Try putting a little more flow on it while it is shedding.

+1 Smitty, I'd say shedding/molting too. My toadstool stayed closed for three weeks! I thought for sure it was dead. Sometimes redirecting a powerhead so that the toadstool gets more flow can help it shed a little faster.

I'm not sure, I've never seen it shed like this before and I've had it for over a year.

It looks downright moldy! I'll try the powerhead idea.

Did it look dark brown (color of cyano)?

Here is what mine looked like....

IMG_1901-1.jpg

The brown/red slimy stuff you see on the trunk covered the top also. It stayed like this for 3 weeks. I did put it in a higher flow, which helped slough off the red slimy stuff.

Mine looks like that from time to time. I don't know what or why it's doing that but it has always been fine. I think it's a natural process. Sometimes I use a soft brush to clean it. It seems to like this and will extend the next day. Yours is probably just fine.

It's on too big of a rock to dip.
Anyway, I got home, and half of the slime had peeled off, and the exposed coral looks pretty healthy. I've seen it slime up before, but never like that! I feel kind of foolish for not knowing that!!
Anyway, here are a few pics of it:

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

Thanks for all the help!! It shed it all off and is open again today, looking brand new!

I still feel a little embarrassed for not recognizing it as normal shedding, I should know that by now. It was so much thicker than the usual mucus.

Back