Dying turbo snail

Justintrimble41

Reefing newb
Hi,

My name is Justin still a rookie when it comes to keeping a marine aquarium. I have learned that with as much enjoyment this hobby has brought me it carries a lot of questions along with it. Lol

Sorry for the intro post in wrong section.

I have an issue..... Every time I introduce a turbo snail to my aquarium it dies within the first hour. I purchased one today after performing a water test and even took a water sample to the store with me. Everything checked out fine I bought the 3 blue chromis and a turbo snail. I used the drip acclamation method for over an hour. When I introduced the fish they swam around together in a school, I placed the snail along the bottom close to the aquarium side. He has been in the same spot now over an hour. Any thoughts on how to eliminate this in the future or what I'm doing wrong?

usually drip acclimation of invertebrates is not necessary. fish is a must, but usually its just temp match and away you go.
when I get a shipment from john, 50% of the snails die off in the first month or so. its not bad supply or what is happening in my tank, its kind of what has happened in my experiences in the last year. if you had a predator in your tank, chances you would see them or the flesh of the snail would be gone.
give it several days on snails to insure that they are dead unless you can smell them or they just fall out of the shell. I am no scientist on snails, but john says give them several days to adjust.

Welcome

I had the same problem when I put about a dozen new snails in. A certain number died over the first few days. Might have just been their time <G>. I also notice over time I get empty snail shells over the bottom of my tank. Then I see one of my hermit crabs in a new shell. It's frustrating isn't it? good luck.

Welcome

I had the same problem when I put about a dozen new snails in. A certain number died over the first few days. Might have just been their time <G>. I also notice over time I get empty snail shells over the bottom of my tank. Then I see one of my hermit crabs in a new shell. It's frustrating isn't it? good luck.
That's the problem when you have emerald crabs and snails they like to steal the shells of snails.

Back