EagleEyes' Fitty Build

Hey, we don't know if the sailfin is dead yet. I can take Dr. Marco's approach and say that until I positively identify a dead body being eaten by my cleaners, the fish is happily living behind the rocks and getting all the nutrition it needs from the water column.

At least it gives her algae a fighting chance. For a little while anyways. Im gonna try to get a skinny tank of some kind at the LFS. Probably not, but its worth a try. All the others I find are too wide. Oh well the 20 gal is now a fresh water tank or a hermit crab sanctuary. Sorry bout the sailfin :(

Im gonna drill this tank this weekend if I can learn everything from my trig class beforehand. Oh and my independant study changed to spawning Yellowtail damsels. I might try to make the distinction between male and female physically rather than behaviorally. The only way people have been able to tell is by: size, having the male make the nest between full and half moon, or by putting them all together and looking to see the dots on the female turn yellow(?). I had a couple of males a long long time ago and was hoping one was female so they would spawn. lol

yellowtail.jpg

Ok 1st, its not conning, its a thing that the guy i work with has been interested in, and when i said i was too we decided it wasa good idea.

NEXT order of business, my sump. Ive been looking at acrylic sumps all day here and decided that i have two ten gallon tanks that fit in the space underneath my stand. I am thinking of drilling one of them and adding a pvp pipe to connect them. It would be a large pipe, say 2 inches in diameter. It will be at the top of the tank and create some kind of overflow mechanism. Ill see if i can draw a diagram and put it on here. Updates to come. (Trig is coming along nicely.)

Sump.jpg

So Ill go through the letters so everyone is clear what they are. Sorry about quality. I have no drawing program or anything so i drew it out by hand and scanned it.
A: Line-In section, submerged pipe in elevated water column for noise reduction and baffle for elevation.
PS: Protein skimmer section.
B: Baffles for microbubble trapping.
C: Area for filtration or addition of water.
D: 2" diameter pipe connecting the two tanks, allowing water height in tanks to equalize. Also maximizing area in tank for extra water in case of emergency.
E: Refugium are for algae scrubber area.
F: Return pump with screen above baffle to keep snails & other inverts out of return pump area.

Any ideas or improvements welcome. I have not been too good at planning these types of things so i am welcoming any help i can get. I will have to retrofit the cheap-o protein skimmer i bought two years ago or get a better one. Havent used the cheapo one and I have a rio 50 I can use to mix water and bubbles if i choose to. :HELP!:

Gah-gah-gah garsh look at this place!! It looks awesome! I like the blue but ill miss the characteristic orange glow..
So I am gonna drill the tank sometime here and find a good (budget willing) lighting fixture to put on it. Ill build sump first though.. Im not gonna go with that plan above. Just ordered 1" bulkkheads. stickky kkkkkk sorry. ill say hello to everyone now!

Yeah, i think i put up a picture of it on here. Ill post a pic of the tank when its ON the stand and everything.

Back