earthquake proof?

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
As most people know CA had a small quake last week. I have a 55 gallon that sloshed water everywhere! Thankfully it was still in it's place on the stand and only a few rocks had fallen from the aquascape. Only one coral was a little scuffed. My husband and I are weighing the odds that we will get another quake. Anyone know if strapping it down really helps? I'm more worried it will tip in the opposite direction of the stand and crash to the floor (and asbestos ceiling below). We're debating strapping it to he wall beams since we can strap it the floor.

That's my fear too. Unfortunately, i dont think there is much we can do about it. Its a risk living in CA with a tank. If the quake is strong enough, strapping it down wont help. There is a huge risk of the tank cracking when its full and it moves around so hard. If not the move itself, the rocks might crack the glass. Best thing i guess we can do is setup the rocks so its all flat but it wont look good.

Dont know. Maybe there is a way but i havent found any solutions to this when i researched it. I guess when a huge quake hits, the last thing on mind is the tank...i would run for my own life.

Last edited:
I saw something a couple of nights ago where they say the yall will have a super quake within the next 30 years.
I dont that there IS a way to actually protect a tank during a quake.Theres a lot of water in there sloshing around.
Maybe move east?

Well there is no way to predict earthquakes so any number is pure speculation IMHO. Could be tomorrow could be in 70 years. All i know is when that time comes, i will not be worrying about the tank.

Last edited:
Back