Easiest way to remove hair algae?

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Is there a specific way that might be easier then the other when it comes to removing hair algae. When I try to pull it off it just breaks off at the end and I barely have any in between my fingers. Was thinking about a wire brush and scrubbing? Anybody know any easier safe methods?

You can take the rocks out and scrub them with a brush (in a bucket of saltwater). But if you don't want to remove your rocks, removing by hand (as you've been doing) and having a good clean up crew is really your only option. Of course, it helps to find out why you have such bad algae in the first place. If it's not a new tank, there is something causing it.

If you have a ton of hair algae, get a sea hare. It will eat your algae up VERY FAST, so make sure it's okay for you to take it back to the LFS or give it to another hobbyist when it runs out of food.

If you have a ton of hair algae, get a sea hare. It will eat your algae up VERY FAST, so make sure it's okay for you to take it back to the LFS or give it to another hobbyist when it runs out of food.
I have dino's and hair algae so don't want to take a chance of a sea hare getting poisoned and then poison my tank by the dino's :grumble:

When my tank was cycling I got a lot of hair algae. I bought 5 turbo snails which seemed to do the trick. It was cool seeing the trail of clean rock behind them.

Back