eco system miracle mud

I have it in my sump's fuge. SOOOOOO expensive!!!!! But I only use 1in in my sump, which is what the package recommends. I kept the other half for when I have to do a 50% change in a year or so.

Benefits? I don't know. My tank's not doing so bad, but I only really test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and PH (I have no corals) and everyone seems happy. I'm having an above tank fuge for my 10 gallon. But I'm using a dsb instead.

I've read people rave about it, and of course some scoff. So I really don't know. I'm ok with it, though.

+1 dustin

Its a lot work to replace the mud. Unless you;re up for replacing it each year, i wouldnt bother with it.

I'd go with the DSB and cheato myself.
Its expensive enough to have to repleace light bulbs once a year,let a lone the bed in my fuge.

In the refugium I use a 1 1/2 inch layer of aragonite, one large jar of miracle mud, and on top of that one large jar of kent marine bio sediment. The purpose is to provide a natural supply of minerals and trace elements, I also have substrait stirrers in my refuge to preclude any required change out. decide what it is you are trying to do, and then provide the materials that will make it happen. good luck. have fun

In the refugium I use a 1 1/2 inch layer of aragonite, one large jar of miracle mud, and on top of that one large jar of kent marine bio sediment. The purpose is to provide a natural supply of minerals and trace elements, I also have substrait stirrers in my refuge to preclude any required change out. decide what it is you are trying to do, and then provide the materials that will make it happen. good luck. have fun
have any pics i can look at of your setup? im looking to do mostly sps tank with fish also. will have some lps too though.

Here are some pics, just remember that my refugium is for producing a constant supply of natural food for the main tank, I will be incorporating an algae scrubber soon to deal with nitrates etc, currently I run a sulfur denitrator. The room is a mess and not cleaned up, on top of list of things to do just below the data base. so you will be able to see the layered substrait in the refugium. SEE MY PIC GALLERY OR TANK BUILD OUT THREAD FOR MORE PICS OF THE TANK AND SYSTEM.

Attachments

• 100_0546.jpg
    100_0546.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,190
  • 100_0547.jpg
    100_0547.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,330
  • 100_0548.jpg
    100_0548.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,185
  • 100_0549.jpg
    100_0549.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2,973
Last edited:
Here are some pics, just remember that my refugium is for producing a constant supply of natural food for the main tank, I will be incorporating an algae scrubber soon to deal with nitrates etc, currently I run a sulfur denitrator. The room is a mess and not cleaned up, on top of list of things to do just below the data base. so you will be able to see the layered substrait in the refugium. SEE MY PIC GALLERY OR TANK BUILD OUT THREAD FOR MORE PICS OF THE TANK AND SYSTEM.

Now that is an incredible setup! I really appreciate your willingness to share what you have learned.

For what most people in this hobby are trying to accomplish, a deep sand bed and macroalgae do a good enough job. Like jhnrb said, the purpose of the mud is to constantly and reliably replenish minerals and nutrients. This can also be accomplished (to some degree) by doing regular water changes and dosing chemical additives to the tank.

I looked into the mud also but decided to go with a thick live sand bed. I agree with Dustin, waste of money. Thats not to say it doesn't work but it just seems like too much maintenance, not worth the time.

From what I understand, you also have to replace the miracle mud after so much time (can't remember how long it is good for).

From what I understand, you also have to replace the miracle mud after so much time (can't remember how long it is good for).

The bag says every 1-2 years. I still have half a bag saved.

I don't see it as a waste of money because I consider it money already spent LOL So I have no choice but to stick with it. But like I said, for my 10 gallon, I'm going to use dsb.

The bag says every 1-2 years. I still have half a bag saved.

I don't see it as a waste of money because I consider it money already spent LOL So I have no choice but to stick with it. But like I said, for my 10 gallon, I'm going to use dsb.

Personally, I wouldn't call it a waste of money. I know people who have had great results with it. I also know people who have great results with a DSB (I have a DSB in my fuge). There are many times in this hobby where preferences are the deciding factor as much as solid facts.

Personally, I wouldn't call it a waste of money. I know people who have had great results with it. I also know people who have great results with a DSB (I have a DSB in my fuge). There are many times in this hobby where preferences are the deciding factor as much as solid facts.

Thats is in a nut shell right there.
Theres really no right or wrong way to run a tank.Because no two tanks are identical.What works great for my tank,may be a waste of time,money,and effort in somebody elses tank.

Back