EEK! What's this?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Found this little guy on my glass this morning, any ideas?

5217695569_f97bacc3c7_z.jpg

5217695269_321d0be378_z.jpg

Thanks!

C

It's some sort of worm or snail? Crawls around at a very quick pace.

Ugh, hope he's ok, I'm sure he's not the only one....

C

I think it's alien. I would be very careful leaving it in your house, especially at night. :lol:

Good rule of thumb: When in doubt, take it out. It could be a Seahorse sucking leach!

It kind of looks like one of these:

flatworms.jpg

Only mine is a milky translucent color, not yellow. The article says:

"These particular flatworms harbor symbiotic zooxanthellae in their thin tissue and utilize the excess sugars they create as their primary energy source. Packets of zooxanthellae can be seen as the tiny, red-brown dots along the back of flatworm. Their reliance upon this photosynthesis requires that these flatworms bask in sunlight like little photovoltaic cells, and enables them to live without a developed digestive system." Flatworms in HD, thanks Morphologic Studios! | reef tools

It doesn't say if they are bad or not. Are all flatworms bad? I've looked and looked at my tank and can't find any more. Should I be worried?

C

Flat worms come in many colors. I belive that they all release toxins when they die. I have used flat worm exit by salifert with great success.

Catherine I found this. It may be of some help.

The first and most common type of flatworm can become a nuisance quickly in the home aquarium. These organisms are tan, brown or rust colored with a red dot, and reach a size of up to 1/4" in length. They are oval and slightly elongated with two tail-like appendages at their posterior. This brown flatworm has been identified as Convolutriloba retrogemma, and will proliferate rapidly in aquariums with elevated nutrient levels. The populations of these pests can increase to a point where they will actually perch on corals, and block the light from reaching the corals' tissue. Some experts believe that the flatworms actually feed on the zooxanthellae from coral tissue, thus damaging the corals themselves.

Pests Invading the Reef Aquarium Hobby: Part 2 - Flatworms, Snails & Limpets

Which aquarium did you find it in? You should treat with Flatworm Exit ASAP. There is more than just one in there, I guarantee it!

Back