Eggcrate in glass tank

I used magnets on either side of the eggcrate inside and outside of the glass to keep it in place, and also used zip ties to hold the different pieces of egg crate together. This allows me to remove it and clean it when needed. What are you using the egg crate for?

I saw a setup on youtube that used it for the refugium part of the sump to keep the chaeto in place but I couldn't tell how the eggcrate was held.

I've made 2 compartments out of my egg-crate and zip tied the two pieces of egg crate together. I've then used magnets to hold the larger divider to the edge of the glass. If you are just doing a single piece of egg crate then there is no need for zip ties. Sorry for the confusion!

I would think you could buy magnets at home depot or a craft store like Michaels. I used extra ones that came with my heater. I have some pics on my computer at home and will upload them tonight for you!

Here's the pics I have - not sure how helpful they will be. You can see the egg crate on the right side of the sump

In the last pic you can see how I created two chambers and put the powerhead behind the chamber with the chaeto - I initially tried with them both in a large single chamber but the chaeto just kept getting stuck on the powerhead instead of tumbling in the flow.

Back