Eggcrate?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I got some eggcrate from work, to get rid of the glass top I have. It is reflective, and I thought this would be great. However, the ridges are about 1/8" thick, and it seems to cut down alot on the light. Is all eggcrate this thick? It tapers, so the side that is facing the light is 1/8" and the edge facing the water is sharp, but like I said I notice my tank is visibly darker with the eggcrate. Is there better stuff to use? Do some people leave it open, or will your fish turn into jumpers?

Try flipping it over.

All eggcrete is like that.At least all I've seen.You really dont have to have anything over your tank if you dont want it there.But any fish is a potential jumpper.
I lost a foxface rabbit fish because of that a couple of weeks ago,and there not known to jump.

not worth it in my book. it really cuts down on light. just don'y buy fish that are prone to jump

-Doc

Got my egg crate from Home Depot it is 1/16 with no tapper and 5/8 square holes. I do take it off when I am home and at night and at work.

ummm, then what is the point of having it if it is off most of the time? fish can get spooked at jump at anytime.

-Doc

I keep it on when I am not around cuz if a fish would jump out it would not have a chance. Made it to fit very tight so that the fish I am going to have can not knock it off,At least I hope they can't. It is off when I am home so if one did jump out I could get it back in before the cats and dogs got it, plus It seem I have my hand in the tank a lot for some reason. So I guess It just makes me feel better to have it on when not around.

Back