Eheim Classic 2217 External Filter

Shmibly

Trying to reef!
Purchased this filter with my 55 gal setup. The filter itself is fantastic works flawlessly with no leaks, even in a power failure (given the o-ring gasket is properly lubed), and has a decent flow. If its taken care of, it will not fail you. I believe that the large amount of surface area provided in Subtstrat Pro (Eheim filter media (German)), helps to keep the toxins in my water to a minimum. However, the manual will prove to be useless, and you will be left to your own devices to set it up. It also took a while to figure out how to prime the thing, but I could always help out with that for those who get stumped.

Thats a freshwater filter, its not made for a reef tank. I would suggest a sump, if not powerheads and a skimmer at the least.

its more that traditional filters in a saltwater setup lead to water quality issues because they only trap particles which can then rot to small particles and be washed back into the tank. A protein skimmer works better in a saltwater tank because it completely remove the particles from the water circulating through the tank.

+1 little fish.

Saltwater aquariums don't typically have the benefit of having a lot of plants around to take in nitrates, so they need to be exported. Preventing waste from breaking down, (skimmer), and exporting, (water changes), are the two primary means of export. Your live rock also serves as a biological filter.

This doesn't mean you have to ditch your canister though. You can use it for vacuuming your sumper, holding carbon, detritus remover, etc. There's all sorts of way you can still utilize it, on a supplementary basis.

Back