Eilbi angelfish

Sara

Reefing newb
Does anyone have an Eibli angel? I have been considering buying one, I'm just not sure if it will be a good idea. I currently have a yellow tail damsel, a 3 stripe damsel, scooter blenny, cleaner shrimp, and an orchid dottyback (which gets along just fine with the shrimp). I have a butt load of live rock so there's plenty of nooks and cranny's for hiding. What do you guys think? Eibli or Coral Beauty? :fish:

My vote goes for the Coral Beauty since I don't even know what a Eibli is.For warn though,a sixth fish(especially an angel)in a 30gal. may be pushing it.

I agree with Reef .

The coral beauty is a nice fish, good and small.

Heres a Pic of mine
Gordo.png

Thats a tough call. I would go with the eiblis angel just because there not a common as a coral beauty. Although the eiblis is not really reef safe.

Last edited:
Im thinking kinda like Reef.I dont know that I would add another fish.BUT,If I really wanted either one of the angels,I would consider TRYING to catch the damsels out.But thats easier said than done,unless you like going fishing in your tank.
What ever you decide though,let us know.

As a side note,As a member of this site,your reguired to post pics of your tanks along with any and all new additions. j/k. But we do like pictures.

haha yeah post some pics so we can see. how are you liking your scooter blenny? i just got one the other day and hes really cool

I love my scooter, he is so much fun to watch. I think he's right up there with the cleaner shrimp as far as entertainment value. Is it bad that I could due with out the 3stripe? He's a total bully and I called him Slugo because of ron white's bull dog, he's just a mean fish. What is that you are saying Hawks? Cattle prod? lol. We'll see what happens with pics. Thanks everyone. David, how do you like your scooter?

I had an Ebili angel in my work tank but he vanished. He did not pic on the corals, but was not a good eater. I liked the tail color, but the green body seemed a bit dull to me. I love the coral beauty but I have had three in my time and all of them ravaged my corals - one took out a torch coral in one day. That was just my experience. I have had much better luck with flame angels, albeit a bit more expensive. The flame angels from vanuatu are just agnificent critters.

I would try to remove the damsels before adding a pygmy angel though. You don't want to push your bioload too much. Try putting their food into a net for about three days and let the fish get used to eating out of it. They will quickly learn the a net means food and swim into it to eat. Then, on the fourth day, nab out the unwanted fishies. It has worked about half the time for me. The other half that I have had to removed an unwanted fish was by moving all the rocks and corals to one side and trapping the little buggers with a net. Good luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Thanks Dr. Marco, I don't want to push the bioload. Everything is perfect right now the way it is. I don't want to pus my luck either.

If you are to have a fish only then any of the pigmy angels will do, however, as the others have said, for a 30 gal an addition of a pygmy angel will be a substantial bio load increase on your system. now as for just which one, I have always been partial to the flame angel, but, the coral beauty is also a wonderful fish. Angels and corals = party time with lots of snacks if and when needed. good luck with your system, and if all is fine now and you are satisfied with your system, just enjoy it. you do not need to keep adding stuff. although, maybe a larger system would be in the future so you can increase your family. keep us posted. lastly try to remember one of the rules for success, "do not add anything to your system at this point on unless it contributes to the system. just adding bio load has its limitations".

Last edited:
Striped damsels are awful...they have a reputation for being bullies and extremely territorial (as do the dominoes and blue damsels too). If you can somehow catch him and take him out, I think you'd have more luck adding another fish.

Back