Ekkk...I have no idea what I'm getting into!

Sherrell Rell

Reefing newb
Hey there ya'll :D
My name's Sherrell and I live in Austin, Tx. I've been very interested in starting my very first SW aquarium for quite some time. Knowing that I could have my own little piece of the ocean excites me the most about this new hobby and also learning hands-on about what and how chemistry and other lurking variables affects the eco system of my tank. I'm looking forward to this new experience and all the challenges that come with it!!!

Right now I'm in search of the perfect aquarium, accessories, and also finding out more about the type of things I'll more then likely come across.

So...here's my vision of the perfect reef tank (so far)....

--> TANK: Reef tank (looking at the Fluval M90)
--> TANK SIZE: 30 to 40 gallons
--> TYPE OF FISH: Clownfish, Firefish (purple or exquisite), dwarf Puffer fish (is there a such thing for SW tanks?!), starfish, Yellow Prawn Goby, Arrow crab, Black Cap Basslet, Seahorse..I will not be placing but 3 to 4 of these in my tank.
--> TYPE OF CORAL: Zoanthids (small garden), Brains, RBTA, Pulsing xenia....still checking out more Corals.
--> SHAPE AND STYLE OF TANK: Long and tall rimless glass tank

... Question: What's the difference between Tempered and starrphire glass and also what does it matter if the glass is low or high in iron?!

FILTRATION :
To begin cycling my tank and help with the filtration I will start with one piece of live rock and buy a few pieces of dry rock including a and/or b.

a.) Protein Skimmer: Eshopps Hang-on skimmer PSK-75 or 100
b.) Sump filtration: (Not sure if this is necessary)

LIGHTING: Rapid Led's Onyx lighting system

(As I mentioned earlier I am looking at the Fluval M90 aquarium setup which comes with the CP3 circulation pump, Marine and Reef full spectrum Performance LED strip light, M150 submersible heater, PS1 Protein Skimmer, Marine Salt, and Value-pack Alkalinity/calcium) so this filtration section is just for just incase for possible future purchases I NEED to make.

POWERHEADS

(ALL THE ADDITIONAL ITEMS BELOW WILL BE AFTER I'VE GOTTEN USE TO THIS HOBBY
DOING IT MANUALLY!!!)

REACTORS:
calcium, biopellet, Phosban/Zio, and Carbon/GFO

DOSING PUMP
: Digital Aquatics reef keeper (this is a upgrade I will purchase after I understand each test manually)

ATO: JBJ automatic top off
RO/DI unit and Water purification
TAEST KIT:
Red sea

....so, there it all is in a nutshell . I hope that I will soon be able to should you guys/gals my setup in the next few weeks but until then I'll you ya around!!!!

If there is any other information you care to share or other products you think I should check out feel free to leave it in the comments...don't be a stranger :D Bye for now!!!

Back