electric bill????

cravinmohead22

Reefing newb
ok this is really stumping me. i knew when i got this up and running that my bill would go up but damn, not this much. my bill is higher now, in the winter with the aquarium running than it was in the summer with my fridge in the garage running and my A/C on. its showing on my bill that from last winter in Jan. and Feb. that this year i used three times as much. whats up with that. is it possible?????

What do you have running on your tank? Light, pumps, etc. do you MH lighting? It all depends...

But average speaking, my electric bill has increased about $30 as a result of my 80 gallon tank. Give or take a few each month.

and you're saying your elec bill has tripled since the tank has been setup?

Not sure how much you were using before the tank...but triple doesnt sound right.

Sounds more like a good screwing from the power company to me.
My light bill only went up about 20 bucks when I started my tank.
I'd be keeping an eye on the meter and making sure their reading it right.

yeah i think i will be calling them soon about this. i am using around 350 last year. and now its saying 940. what ever the measurement is, kilowatts???

I say pull your meter out and put a piece of electrical tape on 1 of the connectors and call it day. :evil!?!?: You can seriously do this everynight, meter readers dont come during the night time, not my first rodeo ;)

Last edited:
I say pull your meter out and put a piece of electrical tape on 1 of the connectors and call it day. :evil!?!?: You can seriously do this everynight, meter readers dont come during the night time, not my first rodeo ;)

Sure you aint from Tennessee?:mrgreen:
I've dont a few times myself.Shoot,I've even pulled the meter out for a week at a time and stuck a bridge in there.
Think I've still got the bridge.

OUr elec company only comes around to read the meters every few months. They guestimate and then read the meter so you make up the difference evey three months.

Back