Electric Blue legged hermit crab!

Laur122

Reefing newb
Does anyone know anything about the electric blue legged hermit crab? I had bought one back in december and I asked the guy at the store if we needed a larger shell for it to change into and his answer was no and that they dont grow much larger. Well....this crab changed into a shell that was much much bigger than he was and could barely move. He now shells hops almost every other day. And now he is a lot bigger than when we first bought him. How big do they actually get? I also believe he killed my horse shoe crab!

i dont think it killed the horseshoe crab they are sand sifteres and if they dont have a mature sand bed they will die of starvation. and yes you need shells for your crabs they will always look for the one that has the perfect fit

No offense to you lol, but this crab scares me. He's a very creepy fellow. I say he could of killed the horse crab because when i walked in the hermit crab was holding him and I had to use the net and scoop the horse crab up to make sure he was ok....

electric blue leg hermits will get about .75" (leg span) They can prey on smaller animals. Its not likely that he killed your horseshoe crab like daugherty stated horseshoe crabs eat pods from your sand bed and will clean them out pretty quickly (sometimes you can train them to eat frozen) Your electric blue was probably just cleaning him up, they are scavengers (oppertunist hunters) LOL I can't spell today.
Good luck!

well the thing is the horse shoe crab died a few days ago, and when i saw the hermit crab holding the horse shoe crab that was like 3 weeks ago. He's a very strange critter and i believe the exercism is an order

Back