electric flame scallop?

i had a flame scallop and they are not easy to care for IMO, I had issues with mine right from the get go. Unless you have a real established tank i would advise against one and thats just my opinion and experience with the on i had

Scallops are one of those animals that's better off being left in the ocean,IMHO.
They require more food than we can give them in our tanks.

more food? like what do they eat? i though you could just feed them plankton everyday and they would be okay? i guess thats a wrong assumption?

yeah. i guess i will leave it where it belongs. what are dome other good interesting creatures that do abnormal things?(eg light up from a chemical reaction)
i want something crazy to put in my tank :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marinefish.jpg

a clam is good and they are pretty and look similar to a clam just a larger version and and easier to care for not a piece of cake to take care of but easier and to me more beautiful:mrgreen:

Scallops are too tough. I've had about 4-5 of them and the have all died! Cool for a couple of weeks then just a shell souvenir. :(

For what it's worth, I've had one for over a year now.
I got two, but they came with all my stuff from TBS when i first set up my tank. One died within the first month or two probably. But low and behold, the other is still going! :dunno:

For what it's worth, I've had one for over a year now.
I got two, but they came with all my stuff from TBS when i first set up my tank. One died within the first month or two probably. But low and behold, the other is still going! :dunno:

Do you spot feed it or anything? I really really want one and I would totally treat it like a newborn baby I have done a lot of reading on them. I want a whole tank of strange creatures and its just so cool

I would not do it. The feeding it requires is totally going to screw with water chemistry, your tank being so small.

d2mini's tank is large enough that there is enough food generated naturally for him to survive, and if he did spot feed, he has enough water volume that it wont mess with his chemistry.

Ya, i'm in no way condoning getting one. I've experienced quick deaths with them in the past. Although I was a total newb at the time too. This was years ago before i knew anything about sw and bought it just because i thought it was cool. Survival rates on these are generally very low. I'm shocked it's still alive, and I was shocked that I was sent two of them in the first place as freebies with my order, knowing how poorly they normally do.

To answer your question... no i do not spot feed it. It's right in the center of my tank where it gets the most flow from my vortechs. It tucked itself under a rock overhang. It probably is able to catch a lot of stuff floating by.

Back