electrical current in water?

margaritaville

Reefing newb
I was moving around some liverock today and when I put my hand in the water I got a small zap! I didnt feel it with my right hand but I quickly found out I had a small cut on a finger on my left hand, when I felt the tingle. Is this something I should be worried about? fish seem fine just want to make sure its is nothing serious.
thanks
eric

Yes if you suspect stray voltage in the water this is not ok. not only is it not heathy for the animals it is a hazard to your. I you have not already done so, purchase a ground probe and install it ASAP. they are about 15 dollars and come with a plug to plug into a grounded out let. this will bleed off any volatage in the water. if you have a sump put one in there also. good luck and let us know how things go.

I had some bad luck with inverts a while back and after addressing every suggestion from these forums and my LFS I think I finally figured out that I was having the same problem -- stray voltage. I got a ground probe and replaced the animals that I lost and they are all doing fine, so I think that this was the source of my problem. My LFS said that for the most part, fish won't be killed by it (but it's stressful for them) but more sensitive animals like shrimp, corals and starfish are very susceptible to stray currents caused by all the equipment in the tank and power surges and will be the first ones to go. And those are the animals I had die on me, coincidentally.

it has been documented or attested to over the years by some that believe stray voltages cause lateral line desease. and generally attribute to sickness in fish due to the stress induced. not sure i can sign on to it but thought i would share it with you for what it is worth.

Back