Eletric Bill

Waddi

Shenanigans?
So, got my electric bill today, could the price have jumped from 200 to 330 just because of two t5ho lights??
My dad seems to think that my lights are eating up huge amounts of electric, but it cant be that bad can it??
*Bad spelling on title! :roll:

sounds like you should convince your dad that you will both benefit from high quality LED's if he buys them for you. It will save him money in the long run :)

I do want some LEDS for the new tank, but i know nothing of what wattage i need for it or anything.
But still 50w T5s through the day couldnt do that??

Nope, those lights didn't make you power bill jump up that high. Here's a quick example of what those lights could cost ...

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif] If you want to find the cost of all items:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif] 1. Total up all the watts per day for each item to get total watts/day.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif] 2. Divide total watts/day by 1000 to get the total kilowatt hours (Kwh) per day.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif] 3. Multiply the Kwh/day times the cost per Kwh to get your total cost/day.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif] 4. To find out the average total cost per month, multiply the total cost/day by 30. (Power company monthly billing cycles vary from 28-33 days)[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif] 50 x 12 hours/day = 600 watts
1200 divided by 1000 = 0.6 Kwh
0.6 x 0.09 = $0.054/day
$0.054/day x 30 = $1.62/month
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Now, that's assuming you run the lights for 12 hours a day, and a 30 day month. It's also assuming that your power costs you .09 cents per kilowatt hour.
[/FONT]

Here is how you figure it out.

On the bill, find the cost of the elecricity. It is usually in the form of cost per kilowatt hour

Take your wattage in Kilowatts so 2 50W bulbs = 100 Watts =.1 Kilowatt

Multiply it by how many hours you are running your lights. So say you run it 12 hours

You multiply .1kilowatt times 12 hours = 1.2 Kilowatt hours

Then multiply that by the cost per kilowatt hour and that is how much it costs to run the lights for the day.

Then multiply that number by 30 since there are usually 30 days in a month and you have your monthly cost.

I doubt it would be 100+ dollars. I would guess that the AC running has more of an effect than a light

Ok guys, thanks so much for all the help. I will total it all up tomorrow, time to go to bed! Up early kayak in the morning before school! :D

So, got my electric bill today, could the price have jumped from 200 to 330 just because of two t5ho lights??
My dad seems to think that my lights are eating up huge amounts of electric, but it cant be that bad can it??
*Bad spelling on title! :roll:

Mine went up too, but not because of anything I've added. That good divided power rate times thing. 7am-7pm is high rate and the rest of the time and weekends and holidays is off peek rates. Gotta love smart metering! NOT!!!

Turns out they read the meter wrong, he read it as 14993, but it was 13993. :roll: Hahaha, so i can now keep my tank! :p

No way on earth I am going to go with the AC usage. Have your father pull up the electric bills from this timeframe last year and compare.

Yep they are all around the same price. We dont have AC, dont know why, but we live in a big log house, so she heats up nice and quick. We just have ceiling fans in every room, so no big deal.... yet! :lol:

Turns out they read the meter wrong, he read it as 14993, but it was 13993. :roll: Hahaha, so i can now keep my tank! :p

LOL Which is why it's good to read all your bills' details to make sure it's all right ;) In fact, I'm gonna go check out my credit card bill now! I'm pretty sure I did not spend $500 at my LFS last month ;) Must be an error!! LOL

It was more like....$600

Back