Elevated Magnesium Progression Thread

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
So in the quest to rid my tank of several nuisance algaes Im going to try the Elevated Magnesium Theory. I have been told several contradicting answers on whether it will work or not, so Ill give it a shot.

Im using Randy Holmes-Farleys magnesium supplement recipe for my dosing, I am using the second recipe which consists of 3 cups Magnesium Sulfate(Empsom Salts) and 5 cup Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate per gallon of RO/DI water. I have boosted my mag level from 1300 ppm+/- to 1460ppm and will be taking it up to 1600+/- near the end of the week. It took a full gallon of the solution to get this jump so another half to full gallon will get me up to where I need to be.

I believe that Alexander is also going to be using this technique but he will be using the Kent brand Tech-M product. He and anyone else that is going to use this technique should feel free to add their experiences and photos in this thread.

These photos are of my tank the day after elevating my levels.

TankShots001-3.jpg

TankShots002-3.jpg

TankShots003-2.jpg

TankShots004-4.jpg

In the second photo you can see to the right of the largeish Acro colony their is already some color loss on whatever algae that is. Im really hoping this is going to work.

Adios Mio, you know some Mexican turbo snails are drooling right now!

Hey Ryan, is that a closed loop system I see????
Do you have any threads with information on it?
I am thinking about putting one into action.

Good luck.....keep us posted if the magnesium diet works.

Thats a butt load of bryopsis.
I've read about uping the magnesium.But never tryed it.
I know that cranking the alkalinity over 10DKH will kill out hair and bryopsis.
Something you need to think about too Ryan.When all that algae goes to dieing off,its going to release all the nutrients its accumulated right back into your tank.You need to manually remove as much as possible so it dont spike your nitrates and phosphates.

I did a 40% water change last week and will do another this week to get rid of the same algae. I agree with Yote, you should remove what you can manually and from your pics it looks like it should be pretty easy to remove most of it.

I have been doing a lot of manual removal, takes me about three hours a week, that is the growth of two weeks as I have missed the previous two weekends worth. Family obligations and I was sick as a dog this last weekend. Im going to grab a phosphate reactor this weekend too. This stuff seems to literally grow before your eyes!

Anyone have any idea what the red carpeting algae is? Same color as cyano but I dont think thats what it is, its definately not slimey and you cant scrape that stuff off the rocks. I see the Kole tang picking at it occasionally, thats about as far he goes in algae clean-up.

Adios Mio, you know some Mexican turbo snails are drooling right now!

Hey Ryan, is that a closed loop system I see????
Do you have any threads with information on it?
I am thinking about putting one into action.

Good luck.....keep us posted if the magnesium diet works.

There is a lot of information on the closed loop im my build thread Messiah, its a sequence 3200 pump with 3x3/4" returns and 3x1/2" returns. I still havent decided if Im a big fan. Powerheads are cheaper all the way around and some of them arent any uglier than the returns that I have. If I had to do it over again I would probably go with something else.

Holy sweet mary mother of jesus that's a lot of algae! Man I sure hope the mag trick will work for you, I heard it can be a little rough on the corals. Keep your alk up is my best suggestion. I'd be really interested to see how this works for you. BTW nice Hawkins Ryan. I agree about the manual removal being important. Do you drip kalk? Thats supposed to precipitate phosphate which should slow down that algae.

Nope no kalk. The hawkins is nice I need to look at the original pic to see how its growing. Its hard to judge that kind of stuff when you see it daily.

Yes I am doing it too. I am using Kent techm. I have my mag levels up to 1560 currently and Will soon post the before pics and hopefully I will be able to post progress pics aswell. As long as our little experiment works. :x:

I feel ya on the manual removal Ryan. it takes FOREVER and thats on my list of things to do today.

Im in on day 4 now Here are some origional pictures just before mag dosing.

fts-1.jpg

chromisjackurchin.jpg

I have did a ton of manual removal yesterday and may dose again tonight. I skipped last night so it didnt overload my system however now that its adjusting I think i will add more tonight.

Have you guys thought about cooking your rocks. I know it's a pain but it would solve your problems. There is probably a ton of PO4 trapped in your rocks Alexander.

Good luck to both you guys. I hope you have good results.
From RC.....Mg levels to kill bryopsis

cooking the rocks would kill off all living organisms.
Cooking live rock is the term used when you take all your rock out of the tank and put it in bins/cans with saltwater, a powerhead and heater if necessary and put a lid on it. No light. 100% water change every 2 weeks or so. After a few months, the rock will be clean of all algae.

thanks capt. I was unfamiliar with that term. I have done that with about 30 lbs of the rock, it worked ok, just took a really long time.

The first step to this is commitment.
You have to be willing to remove your rock from the tank.
It doesn't have to be all at once, but I feel if you are going to do this do it all. In stages if that is easier but make sure that all of it gets done.

The new environment you are creating for your rock is to take it from an algal driven to a bacterial driven system.
In order to do this, the rock needs to be in total darkness to retard and eventually kill the algae's on the rock and to give the bacteria time to do the job.

So basically you need tubs to hold the rock.

Equipment needed.
1. Dedication.
2. Tubs to cook rock in. And an equal amount of tubs to hold the rock during waterchanges.
3. A few powerheads.
4. Plenty of buckets.
5. A smug feeling of superiority that you are taking it to "the next level."
6. Saltwater, enough made up to follow the instructions below and to replenish your tank after removing rocks.
Here are the steps:

1. Get into your head and accept the fact you will be making lots of salt water if you aren't lucky enough to have access to filtered NSW.
2. Explain to significant other what is going on so they don't flip out. This process can take up to 2 months. Prepare them in advance so he/she can mark it on the calendar and that they won't nag about it until that date arrives.
3. Setup a tub(s) where the rock is to be cooked. Garages are great for this.
4. Make up enough water to fill tub(s) about halfway and around 5-7 buckets about 60% full.
5. Remove all the rock you want to cook at this stage. (The rock can be removed piece by piece until you are done.) I suggest shutting off the circulation beforehand to minimize dust storms.
6. Take the first piece of rock and dunk it, swish it, very, very well in the first bucket. Then do it again in the 2nd bucket, then the third.
7. Place rock in the tub.
8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 to every piece of rock you want to cook at this time. The reason I suggested 5-7 buckets of water will be evident quickly...as the water quickly turns brown.
9. Place powerhead(s) in the tub and plug in. Position at least one powerhead so that it agitates the surface of the water pretty well. This is to keep the water oxygenated. You can use an air pump for additional oxygenation if you wish. Only one powerhead per tub is needed. Remember the powerheads main responsibility is the oxygenation of the water.
10. Cover the tub. Remember, we want TOTAL darkness.
11. Empty out buckets, restart circulation on main tank.
12. Wait.
13. During the first couple of weeks it is recommended to do a swishing and dunking of the rocks twice a week.
What this entails is to make up enough water to fill up those buckets and the tub the rock is in.
First, lay out your empty tub(s) and fill buckets the same as before.
Then, uncover tub with the rock in it. Take a rock and swish it in the tub it's in to knock any easy to get off junk.
Then, swish it thru the 3 buckets again, and place in the empty tub..
Repeat for all your rocks.
Then empty the tub that all the rocks were cooking in, take it outside and rinse it out with a hose.
Place tub back where it was, fill with new saltwater, add rocks and powerheads, and cover.
Wait again until the next water change.
You will be utterly amazed at how much sand, silt, detritus is at the bottom of the tub and every bucket. It is amazing.
At times the stench was so strong I gagged.

How it works:

Some FAQ's.
When re-introducing the rock to my tank, a month or two from now, should I do that in parts to help minimize any cycling effect(s)...if there are any?
I never have. Really after a very short while, the ammonium cycle has been established. That's not what you're worry about though, it's the stored phosphates and that you have to wait it out.
When they are producing very little detritus - you'll know - then I would use them all at once.

Would running Carbon filtration and/or a PO4 reducing media help/hurry/hinder the process?
I wouldn't fool with it. You don't want the detritus to sit there long enough to rot, release water soluble P again. You want to take it out while it's still locked up in that bacterial detritus.

I would say that 85% of my exposed rock had Bryopsis (hair algae) covering it.
There isn't a single visible strand on any rocks my tank now.
Remember, the key is patience. Let this process run its course.

And a few last minute tidbits I remembered.
Your coralline will die back, recede etc.
My thoughts on this are GREAT!
Now my rock is more porous for additional pods, mysids, worms etc.
Coralline will grow back.
Throughout this process the sponges, and pods on my rock have not died off.
Every time I do a water change they are there and plentiful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

causeofhim Posts: 710 Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:01 pm Location: Janesville, WI

So tonight was my manual removal night this week. I got about half of the tank(what I could reach) and removed two cups of it. It was noticabley easier to pry off the rocks and instead of coming off in small clumps it came off in bigger sections. Things are progressing a little. The one type of algae that I have(not byopsis) seems to be taking the hit the hardest so far. It is dainty to begin with so Im assuming that is why?

Capt I saw what Randy's opinion is on the Kent brand Mag, but I have also talked to several people on the Upstate Reef Society site on RC and the Fingerlakesreef.com site and they have used the formula that Im using with great success. I have a lot of respect for you and Mr. Holmes-Farley, we will see how it works.

Ryan,heres a tip on manual algae removal.
Take some 3/8" tubing,enough to reach from anywhere in your tank,to your sump.Then rubberband a nylon stocking onto one end and hang inside the sump.Start a siphon and use your finger to control its flow.You can pinch the algae between your finger and the tubing to pull it off the rock.The stocking will filter the algae out of the water and you'll be able to reach more spots in the tank,even though some spots you may not be able to pinch the stuff.
Might make it a little easier.BTW,Whats your magnesium up to now?

Back