Elevated PH while cycling

Banana Man

Reefing newb
Hi,

I'm 2 and a half weeks into a tank cycle (which was speeded up a bit by using Microbacter7). I notice my PH is slightly high ranging from 7.46 to 8.55. Is this normal while cycling a tank? I tested my KH and Alkalinity for the first time today and they are both elevated too. KH = 12.4 and Alkalinity = 4.4.

Thanks!

An 8.2 PH level is normal for saltwater aquariums. When I cycled my tank my PH level was always over 8.0. I think you're fine.

Hi,

I'm 2 and a half weeks into a tank cycle (which was speeded up a bit by using Microbacter7). I notice my PH is slightly high ranging from 7.46 to 8.55. Is this normal while cycling a tank?

The aquarium's pH (and other parameters) can be erratic during cycling. Which is why we do not want to cycle with live fish.

I tested my KH and Alkalinity for the first time today and they are both elevated too. KH = 12.4 and Alkalinity = 4.4.

What salt mix are you using? Some brands have high KH values and since your tank has no skeletogenesis demand yet, there is no depletion of calcium and bicarbonates.
It would stay close to what is contained in your salt mix.

Since your tank is still cycling, I would not be too concerned with pH/Ca/KH just yet.
Wait for the Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate progression to run its course and then see if the pH stabilizes after you perform water changes.

Check out this reference for nominal water parameters.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Back