EliWhitney314's 40 reef tank

EliWhitney314

Phish Head
Well I think it's time.

011-3.jpg

012-2.jpg

Yeah I hated the hex. But I got it at such a great price, that was the only reason why I convinced myself to keep it as long as I did. I have a few people who will sell me established live rock for 2.50. So next week I should have some live rock in there.

I have a question is a 850 gph hydor 3 too much for the 40? Should I get 2 600 gph? Or should I get another hk3? Muahaha

I would get the Korilla #2. I have a #3 in my 55 and its very powerful. I have a hard time getting it just right so the sand is ok. #3 is very strong blast, the #2 is good. I have both a 3 and a 2 in there right now.

You have a 2 and a 3 now? Try the 2 and see if you need more, but I would try two 2's if you have them. The 3 is very powerfull in my tank.

The two is more manageable in there, the three is good and strong but I have it aimed right down the tank longways, so its pushing 4 ft. no problem, still whips the sand at times.

as long as it doesnt disrupt the sand, the stronger the better. You need some sand tho to know...id hold on to it and see how it does with sand inside...

YOu should just wait and see. I actually have a number 1 that I used for a bit, now I use it to mix the salt water mix, so Im glad I kept it. Maybe if you bounce it off the rock it might be ok, but its definatley pretty strong and a big jump over the 2.

Eli why would you want to kill the 'good stuff' on the rock? That's why you buy Live Rock in the first place.

DO NOT DIP YOUR LIVE ROCK IN A FRESHWATER DIP.

+1 Everyone!

I have some "LR" in an old salt bucket filled with freshwater, only because it came from a tank that had crashed. So I'm making damn well sure that it's nice and flushed out before I add it to my main tank, where it will then become LIVE again. YAY! to more free biological filtration! After I add it to my DT I'll have 55lbs of LR in a 29G lol. Stack'em high!

Back