emerald crab and serpent star issues

standingstill

Reefing newb
i have a few questions about my emerald crab and serpent star...

the other day when i fed my tank my emerald crab came bolting out from the rocks, which he doesnt usualyy do (i almost never see it) the concern i had was that he is turning white. it almost looks like a calcium build up on the shell, it doesnt look as if hes losing colour, it looks more like its being covered by plaque? does this make sense? can they loose colour over time (he is large and quite old) or is it my water chem?

the other question is about my serpent star. its my longest living animal in my tank. ive had it for years and years, from arm to arm its probably about 12 inches long. i noticed at the same time my crab was turning white that he was missing an arm, i know its not life threatning, but as far as i know i dont have anything in my tank that would be big enough or aggresive enough to take a limb (its the whole arm too, cut off right at the body). could the emerald crab have done it? its the only thing big enough (with claws) that could have taken it from the star? or do serpent stars periodically leave their arms behind? how fast do they grow back?

Yeah, what your water parameters are will help. Starfish tend to lose arms if the nitrates are too high.

As for emerald crabs, it's normal for them to come in different colors and to change colors over time. If your crab is eating, he's probably doing okay. Maybe just "going gray" as he gets older ;)

Back