Emerald Crabs

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I have ONE rock i9n my display thats covered in some kind of turf algae. Short bristley algae, like grass. I also have all kinds of bubble algae in the tank from a piece of live rock I didn't QT. :frustrat:

The LFS suggested 1 emerald crab for my 30g tank. He must not be hungry, because I don't ever see him.

What do you know about emerald crabs?

I hear they are good. I haven't personally tried them, though I heard sea hares are good too. and mine was the most worthless addition I ever had in a tank.

rc... I have a thread about this also. They totally wiped out my buble algea, It's all gone. I have 3 small ones in my 35.. I have some photos of before and after in the thread.. Good luck !!

Hmmmm, maybe I should get a couple more? Make them compete for food.

I know they are nocturnal, but some of what I've read about them says they will come out in the open if they feel comfortable. There's nothing in my tank to scare this little bugger.

I'm just frustrated because they claimed he'd eat all the bubble algae and grass algae in a few weeks. He's either dead, lazy or fat 'cause I ain't seen him in over a week. :grumble:

In my old 55, I had 4 emerald crabs and saw them all the time. At least one was out in the open at any given time.

When I upgraded to my 240, I moved all the emeralds over. That was back in September. Never saw any of them ever again and thought they had been lost in the transition. I never replaced them either. Lo and behold, about two weeks ago I was looking in my tank with a flashlight in the night, and saw a massive, gargantuan emerald crab picking at the rocks. About 2 times the size of them when I put them in there. I went back the next night and saw another (different) one. Meaning, I know I have at least 2 emeralds still in there, with a gap of about 9 months in between sightings.

So no, it's not unusual for them to go missing, but I imagine they are much harder to "lose" in a 30 gallon tank than a 240.

I'd buy a couple more if I were you. They make good additions.

I too have a rock with that bristly turf algae you talked about. Is it the kind that is so hard and stiff, when I try to remove it by hand it doesn't even come off, as hard as I pull? And the only time I have been able to pull some off of the rock, it was so difficult that it removed part of the rock with it? If this is the same kind you're talking about, I have no idea what will get rid of that stuff.

I have a ton of bubble algae, I had one but I'm not sure if he's still kicking like Biffs or dead, should I get some more or is their something else I can do?

I'd get some more. For a 34 gallon tank, a pair would probably do well. And getting more than one ups the chance that one of them will take a liking to the bubble algae.

I too have a rock with that bristly turf algae you talked about. Is it the kind that is so hard and stiff, when I try to remove it by hand it doesn't even come off, as hard as I pull? And the only time I have been able to pull some off of the rock, it was so difficult that it removed part of the rock with it? If this is the same kind you're talking about, I have no idea what will get rid of that stuff.

Yup. Thats the stuff. Tough as hell and only about 1/2" tall. Crap is growing all over one of my rocks.

I'll go get one more emerald next week.

sadly i have TONS of the bristly turf style. and the only thing i have seen eat it has been my tangs. hopefully they stay dilagent on it and wipe it out as i fight it because is be about 9 months and going on the algea scene for me. and now that im told the emerald crabs dont eat that stuff i dont think i will get any. I have a boxing crab in there somewhere have not seen it since i threw him in after the move but i know he is still alive and kickin. one of the most beautiful crustaceans out there and the bastards never come out

None of my 4 tangs will touch that turf algae. Unfortunately, mine is on a rock that has about 8 ricordeas on it. Otherwise I'd just take the rock out and let it dry out or flip it upside down.

Well, I'm not happy you all are having the same problem as me. But it is reassuring to know that it's not just me. I know I'm not doing something wrong.

Do I have to renew my membership in the AFT club on account of this one rock? :shock: It's not the whole tank--just one rock.

Back